Insulate Walls or Floors?

Page 1 of 3
I live in an elevated rancher built in 1978. I just removed carpeting and linoleum from my breakfast room, kitchen, dining room, and living room, all of which are open to each other. I had 3/4" red oak planking installed over the existing plywood subfloor.
Winter season has come, and it has been unseasonalbly cold, and I really notice it in the rooms mentioned above. I don't know if it's because the wood transfers hot/cold more than what was on the floors, or because of the really cold weather. I'm in the S.F. Bay area, where winters are normally mild (40 - 50), and my furnace usually heats the house fine, but now it takes an hour or so to heat the house (20 year old gas heater, forced air, below in the garage). When I wake in the morning, the house is 56 - 60, and overnight temps were mid-30's to low 40's.
I'm considering insulating the crawlspace under the house, under the new wood flooring. I have good access to all areas under the new wood flooring, and to all exterior walls. I can walk under the entire area. The floor joists are 2 x 10 (1 3/4 x 9), and the wall studs are 2 x 4 (1 3/4 x 3 1/2). I've been reading a lot about insulating crawlspaces, and some say just need to insulate between all the joists, and others say best to insultate just betwee the studs. Of course, doing just the studs would be much easier, since it's doesn't have to be 'hung', and less expensive, since the insulation wouldn't have to be as thick.
Any suggestions?

YOu did not mention the insulation over head. If it is less than about 8 to 10 inches, start there. Then to the walls and last the floors.. Do be sure that the vents under the house are closed so the air does not just flow under it.

Over head? I think you mean what's in the attic...that blown in pink stuff, lots of it. So much so that you have to clear it away to find the ceiling joists.
I've closed up all the vents already.

Yes, the attic. Not sure how large the joists are, but you need around 8 to 10 inches, more if in a cold area of the country. It is recommended from one to two feet in the attic of cold weather areas.
Boris wrote:

You can use adhesive. Walls as well or batts.
Tony Hwang explained on 12/28/2015 :

We need insulated concrete here in Cali. It got down to 29 last night, and is supposed to get down to 20 tonight. My poor palm trees are going to freeze again!

After serious thinking Boris wrote :

No, but My house is.
On 12/29/2015 9:54 AM, Eagle wrote:

I've talked to carpet cleaning people who are truck mounted. That's got to hurt.
Stormin Mormon pretended :

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:25:23 -0800

You are the one with jail time history, you tell us the answer.
On 12/29/2015 11:25 AM, Eagle wrote:

I'm never sure. As you know, most Americans are simple insane. Maybe both?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
After serious thinking Stormin Mormon wrote :

:D

Been looking at those, but the highest R factor I find is 5.89, and 2" thick.
Boris posted for all of us...

What vents? They may be very necessary.
--
Tekkie

Boris wrote:

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 6:26:47 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

+1
I missed that. Closing up all the vents in an attic is a big mistake. Having sufficient ventilation is critical and usually the problem is that there isn't enough.

I haven't done anything in the attic. Haven't even been up there. Vents are open up there. I closed the vents in the crawlspace.
Ralph Mowery explained :

What if you don't have vents under the house, just a concrete slab?

Vents are to move air to control moisture in dirt crawlspaces. The moisture comes from the ground. You shouldn't have any moisture issues.