Insulate Walls or Floors?

But there are diminishing returns and he's in SF, which has a moderate climate. Between unfinished basements and the living space typically isn't insulated. My basement is probably ~55F all year long, in SF I wouldn't be surprised if a crawlspace, with some limited vents, is not too much different.

Someone else pointed out that some more info on what the real objective is would be helpful. He said that after replacing carpet with wood flooring, it takes a lot longer to heat the house. I don't think that makes much sense. I can see carpet feeling warmer, but from a heat transfer perspective, I doubt carpet vs wood is going to make much difference. Also, he says he has a 20 year old furnace. If heating bills are an issue, replacing that might make more difference in how much energy it takes to heat the house than insulating the crawlspace.

Reply to
trader_4

I'd get one of those inexpensive hand held infrared thermometers and start checking for cold spots to plug up. The problem may not be where you expect it to be.

Steve

73 de N2UBP
Reply to
Steve Stone

Federation Uninsulated Ceilings Keeping Your Oil Usage.

Simply Underinsulated Ceilings Keeping Energy Reduced Saving.

That would probably make a catchy acronym.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got R-273 in my walls. Sadly, there is only a six inch walkway through the center of my trailer.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, but My house is.

Reply to
Eagle

Boris presented the following explanation :

I don't because the slab is insulated from the ground by a plastic sheet. That doesn't stop the cold though, and that is why I think concrete should be made with insulating properties.

Reply to
Eagle

I've talked to carpet cleaning people who are truck mounted. That's got to hurt.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon: "I've got R-273 in my walls. Sadly, there is only a six inch walkway through the center of my trailer"

Americans... Infathomable creatures.

Refuse to use the brains the Lord they worship so dearly, gave them. When Jesus said lay your worries at my feet, he didn't mean "live in a drafty barn of a house with the heat cranked up to 90"!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

They MOUNTED, or ARE mounted?

Reply to
Eagle

You are the one with jail time history, you tell us the answer.

Reply to
burfordTjustice

I'm never sure. As you know, most Americans are simple insane. Maybe both?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did used to live across the street from a welfare guy who did just exactly that. Middle of the winter, he'd have his trailer at 80, and wear only underpants and not much else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

:D

Reply to
Eagle

Boris posted for all of us...

What vents? They may be very necessary.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Time to start throwing out hose old newspapers you've been "using for insulation". It's called "hording"

Reply to
clare

Common practice up here in "the great white north" is 4 inches of styrofoam over the gravel and under the slab.. THAY is an insulated slab - and it is "warm"

Reply to
clare

I resent that! I use cardboard and foam trays from McDonalds breakfasts. Newspapers, perish the thought. Gauche!

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Minimal air circulation is necessary for various reasons.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

+1

I missed that. Closing up all the vents in an attic is a big mistake. Having sufficient ventilation is critical and usually the problem is that there isn't enough.

Reply to
trader_4

Some places now require the floor to be insulated'

Carpet and pad can be R2 to R6 depending on material and thickness. Could make a noticeable difference if the heating system is marginal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski