Insulate Walls or Floors?

I lived in a place one time which had a cement floor in the bedroom. (No kidding, hold my beer, woman.) One night as I was laying on the bed, watching TV, noticed my one foot was less cold than the other. Some investigation finds two layers of carpet under one foot, one lay under other foot. I moved the carpet scrap to be under both feet, and that was much more comfortable.

Since that time, I've moved. However, I've made sure to always have a carpet sample next to the bed where my feet land.

Some carpet stores sell samples of old design carpet. Those can make great foot pads.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon:

5 8 8 - 2 300 - Em-PIIIIRE!

today!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Perhaps there is some back story or in joke that I missed?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin:

You mentioned carpet samples and stores. Ever heard of Empire Carpet, seen their jingles on TV?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Sorry, no. Never even heard of that company.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OMG, I've seen it tooooo many times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Pawlowski, Mormon:

From opposite ends of the country I guess. LOL

Empire Carpet is huge here in the northeast.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Likely a regional thing. You live in area with chain stores.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, that explains a lot. Also, I watch zero broadcast or cable TV. Listen to talk radio and Christian radio maybe four or five hours a week.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

trader_4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I haven't done anything in the attic. Haven't even been up there. Vents are open up there. I closed the vents in the crawlspace.

Reply to
Boris

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:pKudndzOjeivoB7LnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I did think about area rugs, but that wouldn't work in the kitchen. And, I hate to cover up the beautiful new hardwood.

At this point, we're still having unusually cold days and nights, and predicted for another week, at least. I may just wait until the weather gets more normal before I make a decision on what to do. If I do anything, my question is still do I insulate the crawlspace walls or the above head flooring. I'd love to also install a more efficient furnace, but that's not in the budget at this time.

Reply to
Boris

Based on what you wrote above, my vote would be to insulate the unfinished "crawlspace" walls first -- basically to help keep the "cold" from getting into the crawlspace from the outside. (I know, technically it is to keep the heat in the crawlspace from getting to the outside through the now-uninsulated crawlspace walls -- since heat energy flows from the warm side to the cold side, not cold flowing to the warm side).

After that, if you decide to insulate the crawlspace ceiling, you could do that too. But, I would do the walls first.

Reply to
TomR

As I mentioned earlier, my vote would be to do the former -- insulate the crawlspace walls.

Reply to
TomR

Before my brother got his new house built up at Hunsville Ontario he lived in an old "redneck bungalow" that was parked on the property. He skirted it with 1X6 lumber and insulated the skirting, and the place became pretty liveable. When they got some good snow on the ground he banked it up to help insulate the "crawl space" and it stayed obove freezing all winter with just a 100 watt light bulb under the trailer. He was sitting on dry sand. This was not a small trailer

- 50 ft I think.

Reply to
clare