Installing blinds on a patio door

I would like to hang a wooden blind on our patio door, which is mostly glass.
A few years ago I remember a friend of mine attempted to this and wound up shattering the glass when he drove the screw in for one of the brackets that hold the blind. Though he was in the door frame, apparently he was too close to the hidden edge of the glass.
What is th rule of thumb on this? How far into the wooden frame does the glass go.
Rule of thumb is if you want blinds they go on the wall. That is why we bought a Pella door with blinds in the glass.
<SoxFanInCT> wrote in message

<SoxFanInCT> wrote in message

Are you talking about vertical blinds?
Isn't there a door frame surrounding door? Don't understand why you want to install on door itself. If door is inset into opening, you can hang blind in opening by driving screws up into top of opening, after pre-drilling.

1.) No they aren't verticle blinds, they are the "mini" blind style but they are made of wood and match the color matches the frame and the rest of the wood in the room.
2.) I said "patio door" but I should have been more specific- it isn't a slider. It is a door that opens "in" . I guess maybe it is closer to a French door? The door itself is about 35x80 and the glass is about 25x70. I would like the blind on the door itself so that it moves with the door.
I see- You might need to check w manufacturer. Just using common sense I'd try to attach near outer part of frame. Mark and predrill- carefully.

So he can open the door and walk through the doorway, and close the door. So he won't have to raise the blinds, open the door, walk partway through, lower the blinds from the back side, then shut the door.

<SoxFanInCT> wrote in message

I have been planning on posting an article about this and just haven't had the time.
For most doors you will be safe if you keep the screw holes one inch above the visible edge of the glass or one inch to the left or right of the visible edge of the glass. Do NOT over tighten them.
Use 1/2" length screws for extra precaution.
And here is the big caution that I learned the hard way. Be advised that if your doors are the Integrity series made by Marvin that if you break the glass it can not be replaced! You have to buy a whole new door!
Pretty damn sad but true. You can not replace just the glass in a Marvin Integrity Door. You have to buy a whole new door.
Thanks Marvin. A few thousand reads and we will be even.
Colbyt
Thanks for the info- this was exactly what I was looking for.
How do I tell the MFG of the door? I don't see anything on it anywhere. TYpically where would I find it?

<SoxFanInCT> wrote in message

The Marvin doors have a tagline in one of the corners of the glass. All the ones I have seen have been in one of the bottom corners. Bad day at the factory and it could be at the top. :)
Other brands may be the same or look for a label on the edge of the door. Only the bottoms are hard to see. :))))
I install these blinds for money to pay my taxes for the last 20 years. One inch above and to the sides will cover your butt in every case I have encountered.
Colbyt