installing a new toilet- question, almost done, took level and noticed not level..??help

Page 1 of 2

Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what should be done, thanks
KOS wrote:

Do you slide off when you sit on it? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

So long as you have a good seal at the base where the wax ring is.
"> KOS wrote:

I wouldn't worry if it flushes properly. My house is nearly 200 years old - I worry when something actually IS level, since nothing ever has been!

Don't wax the seat, and you won't slide off.
--
Tegger

Does not matter if the fixture is off level. The water in your tank and bowl will always be level.

While I am supposed to say it needs to be "perfectly level", I think I will be honest and say if it flushes fine go have a cold drink and forget it.
Colbyt
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level that any of that would happen? Right at zero I would say.
Harry K
I wouldn't be that sure.... I've seen some buildings that were that far off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It might be that way during an earthquake.
Or afterwards.

It would have to be _something_ on that order of magnitude.
Harry K
On Wed, 12 May 2010 21:09:26 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

That's why you should keep an extra wax ring, in case of an earthquaake.

No, No! If you use a waxless one, you can shim the toilet back level and won't break the seal :)
Hary K
KOS wrote:

Hmmm, Perfectlt level thing atround house is rare. If it flushes fine and there no leak, I wouldn't worry. Maybe your level is not perfect either, LOL!

Sometimes I use my eyeball level.

I have removed, reinstalled, and installed new ones. I must have done them all wrong. Never layed a level on any of them.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Yeah, if the floor and the top of the flange are level, the toilet pretty much will be, too.
I'd only bother to reach for the level if I had to replace bathroom floor and/or install a repair flange or something. But if the place is THAT bad off, it is probably gonna get a whole new waste line run anyway, back to decent looking pipe somewhere.
--
aem sends...

If it is off front to back, noone will ever know. If it is off left to right, can you see it, or does it only show when you use the level?
If you can't live with it, remove the toilet, get a NEW wax ring and use a couple of shims under the toilet to level it as needed.
On 5/9/2010 10:55 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I've done what 'bob' says. I understand that you can buy shims for this purpose, however, I have usually used cut pieced of vinyl tile. Works great.