OT: 3D shadow box

I now have the back and sides framed out. The woodriver bench plane is a bit big for the job of the angles but made it work well enough sliver by sliver until they all fit just right.

The top piece is painted eggshell white (sealant under it). 6 slivers of white pine are cut then edged to make baseboards and ceiling rails. Etched the 'floor boards' in very lightly and used an eyeliner brush with dark stain in them. The floor and baseboards/ceiling molds are now drying with a light cherry stain. Plotting area carpet from fabric scraps.

Any ideas where to get or make a sort of 'lamp'? Ideas on how to make a 'brick fireplace' look? Not worried on the angling but the look of 'brick' in tiny size stumps me. Maybe if I used wood painted black to look like wrought iron? Then a tiny grate of snipped and shaped paperclip painted black?

Charlotte is perusing some 50 fishing magazines for a small pic that can be used as backdrop for a framed window with curtins.

What's Don doing? Just sitting back and grinning. It's a whole new world of woodworking for him since he watched me refinish the first piece of furniture some 20 years ago and he wanted to learn, and frankly exceeds me at it now.

Reply to
cshenk

My mom built a number of miniature rooms. She cut up cardboard egg cartons to make bricks. If they are too thick, some heavy watercolor paper from the art store would work, too.

I started a miniature room...got a great little hardwood floor put in, but couldn't afford the hobby at the time. I used some veneer, scored it to scale to look like strip flooring and then painted in some teeny-tiny woodgrain. Fun!

Reply to
norminn

Now dry. I brushed a little polyurithane on the floor for high gloss. That is now curing. Did same on 'baseboards' and 'ceiling molding'. I decided the ceiling needed wood beams and shaved down some light pine (easy to work stuff). Basically bigger at the 'front' then tapers to the back.

I also drafted up plans for the standing closet and a china cabinet.

Thats one idea! I want it to last a very long time though. I was worried minor damp over 15 years might damage that.

I found a place with small bits used by folks who make the really fancy dollhouses or train track places with gas lamps and whatnot.

I can light a coal fireplace with a watch battery with one of them. Same battery can run the 'lamp'. If I go the coal fireplace, I need only replicate a sort of cast iron encasement which avoids needs for bricks. That I can do with shaved wood painted flat black. (toothpicks for grill).

4 inches to work with at back, it will need to be 2 inch high with bottom 1/4 inch for the glow bit (bottom part covers it so you just see a glow). The celing light looks miuch like a small xmas light but I will put a shade on it.

Hehe fun! The only part I have to buy so far seems the light setup. 47$ The rest I had handy here or Don got me.

She found 2. One is a seascape of a beach with the sun setting, the other is a mountain view with a lake. Scaled just about right. The mountain view seems more right for the cabin.

He's in awe as this tiny home develops. Caught him looking guilty as he tried to whittle a windowframe out of popsicle sticks when I came home. He's just not used to working tiny with a 3D aspect. They weren't bad at all so we use them for the window.

Curtins waiting to be sewn. Rods are 2 tiny gold colored nails (about like what you'd expect in the corner of a pair of glasses). Paper clip piece as a bar which the curtins go on then smushed to the middle wile a drop of solder goes on each end. Once cooled, itty bitty tie backs of embroidery thread hold the curtims back.

Sorry all, just having fun! Watch me though pull my hair out making the table and chairs. 4 inch at back, 6 at front. Table needs to be 1 3/4 inch at back, 2 3/4 at front and end before the front of the glass. 2 3/4 wide at front, 1 3/4 at back. Sounds right at least.

Reply to
cshenk