Installing a leviton surge protector

Can I install it inside the panel as our condo has drywall all around the panel?
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 12:58:52 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Will it even fit? As to code aspects, IDK, but I would guess it probably isn't OK to install anything in the panel other than the breakers it was intended for. Gfre will probably see this and have the answer. But, depending on who makes the panel, there are surge protectors in the form factor of a circuit breaker that you could use, if one is available for your panel. I think Square D makes them, maybe Siemens too.
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 1:21:37 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Another problem. Surge protectors have lights to indicate that they are working, not shot. With it inside the panel, you won't be able to see it.
I take it the problem with the drywall is that it's a finished area and you don't want to mount it to the drywall?
Yes, it is finished drywall in the hall of our condo.
Thanks I'll look into that

What do the instructions say? Or when you called customer service? Most things like that have a tech line to call for help.
Thanks I'll try that.
Leave some quoted text.
No,that's dangerous.
Has caused fires.
Major fines if you're caught.
Choked to death on it.
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:58:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is a yes and no situation,, No it is not legal, yes it happens all the time.
The "legal" way to do it is to find a spot in the panel with a vacant block of knockouts adjacent to the hollow of the wall, top or bottom. Cut out the drywall, sneak a box in there with a short nipple on it, going into the KO and if you are lucky/careful a blank cover will cover the hole around the box. Put the protector in that box..
Personally I would just put it in the panelboard enclosure and "come and get me copper"

panel?
I never heard of it done that way. It is not likely that the device would be approved for that type of installation.
Off the top of my head I am thinking that you could possibly install an acc ess door (6" x 6"?) below the panel and mount the device properly through t he access door. McMaster-Carr has a lot of choices in access doors. I thi nk that I saw a few at Home Depot. Below is a link to access doors on Amaz on.
http://tinyurl.com/AmazonAccessDoors
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV