Installing a bidet

My wife went to Europe and now she wants a bidet. I googled it but I wondered about others experiences with different brands and types. Some squirt from underneath, others from the back. There are also some that are add-ons to a toilet. Advice, no jokesters please, go back to the 3rd grade.-Jitney

What kind of advice? Have one in my house that is now 27 years old, works fine (squirts from the bottom), but is used more as a magazine rack than a bidet....
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There isn't much to fret about a bidet, it's a low wash basin. Have SWMBO choose color and features and take care of plumbing and drainage accordingly.
My preference is for the more traditional back flow, but you and your wife are going to use that. Choosing a toilet add-on looks like making a very simple thing unnecessarily complicated. However if space is tight...
Welcome to the civilized world :>)
I didn't have a lot of room for a stand-alone bidet, so I got one of the models that replaces the toilet seat. It works well. The only problem was finding a model that fit my toilet (I ended up with a Toto), and getting electricity to it. The cord is short and apparently few bathrooms have an electric outlet by the toilet. I thought it would be easier to put in an electric outlet than all the plumbing needed for a stand-alone model.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

i got an american standard bidet from plumbing express back in 98. it has spray straight up and rim flush.i feel i made a good choice and i and women have been happy with it.you can spray for a quick clean, or fill it up with water for a good wash, and then when your done the rim flush cleans it . the handle on/off diverter valve were about as much as the bidet,ceramc valve but life time warranty from american standard. its about like hooking up a sink ,but the j trap is under the floor. lucas
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Doesn't your wife clean herself that she needs a stupid bidet? Use some wet wipes!

Hook it up to the hot water line and watch her jump!
Thanks for sparing the jokes, one out of seven isn't bad. But yours brings up the issue of temp control, some models offer the hot/cold user adjust arrangement, but a steady warm seems best to me. More advice? Thanks for the posts so far.-Jitney
On 31 Oct 2005 00:40:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Get the kind that squirt from the top.

Oops. Sorry.

wrote:But yours brings up the issue of temp control, some models offer the hot/cold user adjust arrangement, but a steady warm seems best to me. More advice? -------------------------------------- you learn pretty quick where to set the hot cold handles. get it warm before you turn on the spray.its not a problem at all. i know most americans think bidets are a waste of money, they are a very nice luxury i guess, but women lovem and i got the cleanest @ss in town after my morning dump. being clean is comfortable.most guys that think they are a waste dont have one or never used one. its also very relaxing to get that warm spray going...lucas