Insinkerator not digesting its load

I have a Insinkerator, model Badger 5, 1/2 HP, that is not very consistent at grinding a load. The motor runs quietly and the blades on the on the rotating plate seem to swivel freely yet it doesn't complete the job. The unit is about 6 years old and the cutting surface on the outside perimeter does look a little worn and is rusty but I wouldn't expect that to affect the operation. I'm looking at this for an older couple so I have no day-to-day experience with the unit but i did not do much with a handful of carrots we tried to feed it. And the homemaker says it just doesn't work well.

Any advice? I hate to replace it for them without seeing something really out of whack with it.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Ask them what sorts of stuff they're trying to dispose of. Get a list of

5-10 things. There *are* foods that no disposal will deal with. Let us know what you find out.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Wive's tale or not, the old adage is ice cubes, fruit pits, and steak bones will sharpen a disposer. It won't cost much to try, it won't harm anything, and worst case, will require replacement.

Reply to
DanG

"DanG" wrote in news:NrsTj.69777$y05.18593 @newsfe22.lga:

I've used ice cubes for years in many disposers. I personally don't believe it sharpens. I just believe it clears the accumulated small bits and pieces that won't go down and are stuck in a place where the disposer grinding can't get at it.

Reply to
Red Green

Thanks for the laugh.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The list was typical table scraps and running water was always used (which was the only tip I got from Insinerators web page regarding possible problems.)

The home owners are willing to spring for a new unit so that's what we're going to do for them.