Input on duct diameter affecting CFM in range hood installation

Greetings.
I have this scenario. I have a 1500 CFM fan that requires a 10" duct. My floor joists are 9.5 inches wide. If I go with the 10" duct specs, I'll have to build a chase to cover the duct, and this will cause several design problems within the room as well as being more costly.
However, if I use a 9" duct, I can install the ductwork between the joists and not have to build a chaste.
What will decreasing the 10" rated duct to 9" do to the functionality of the fan? If I have 1500 CFM with 10", what performance loss will I realize with 9"? Are there any other concerns going with 9" over 10"
Thanks in advance for your responses. Sincerely, Adam
--
Adam Finkelstein
adamf######panix#######com

On 17 Oct 2003 13:49:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nullcity.net (Adam Finkelstein) wrote:

Dare I ask, what do you need 1500cfm of ventilation for ? I know of commercial grills that don't have that much draft.
FWIW, the 9" should work, with a little more noise due to increased velocity - assuming this is not a code violation (required device installed as speced by the manufacturer). What's less forgiving is length and bends. Each 45 or 90 reduces airflow significantly.

Home lead foundry.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. Adam
--
Adam Finkelstein