Input on duct diameter affecting CFM in range hood installation

Greetings.

I have this scenario. I have a 1500 CFM fan that requires a 10" duct. My floor joists are 9.5 inches wide. If I go with the 10" duct specs, I'll have to build a chase to cover the duct, and this will cause several design problems within the room as well as being more costly.

However, if I use a 9" duct, I can install the ductwork between the joists and not have to build a chaste.

What will decreasing the 10" rated duct to 9" do to the functionality of the fan? If I have 1500 CFM with 10", what performance loss will I realize with 9"? Are there any other concerns going with 9" over 10"

Thanks in advance for your responses. Sincerely, Adam

Reply to
Adam Finkelstein

The reduction from 10" to 9" will increase the velocity pressure and noise in the duct but I doubt the overall performance will be affected. Make sure you do NOT use flexable spiral duct. A few things you can do is ovalize the 10" or get square/oval duct to fit between the joists (assuming you were going to use round duct). Keep the bends to a minimum. A 10" round duct gives you 78.5 sq.in, a 9x8 duct gives you 72 sq.in.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Reply to
ELAhrens

Dare I ask, what do you need 1500cfm of ventilation for ? I know of commercial grills that don't have that much draft.

FWIW, the 9" should work, with a little more noise due to increased velocity - assuming this is not a code violation (required device installed as speced by the manufacturer). What's less forgiving is length and bends. Each 45 or 90 reduces airflow significantly.

Reply to
Jimmy

Home lead foundry.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. Adam