In door air conditioner?

I have an upstairs room that is unfortunately much much hotter than the rest of the house, I'm looking for an indoor air conditioner that can cool a single room, I know most air conditioners produce heat which normally would go outside, I have windows in my room but I can't stick in a regular window unit because regulations of my estate do not allow them, and the room I need to cool is facing the road and it would be too hard to hide... although some kind of small heat exhaust tube could vent out a partway opened window I suppose. Can anyone suggest ideas for me?

I can't imagine these things being efficient. The expelled air must be replaced and something must be done with the collected water. Better than nothing I guess. John

With nearby hot and cold water plumbing? If so, you might build a small aquarium around the hot coils of a window AC (eg Walmart's $78.44 Haier 5K Btu/h 9.7 EER), with a 10 W fountain pump to move that water through a 10'x4" PVC pipe containing 4 1/2" copper pipes and another small pump to move water from the cold water supply through the copper pipes into the hot water supply when the AC is running.
Nick

http://tinyurl.com/aucf5

I really want one of these. All my windows are the crank out type. I mean I turn the handle and the window winds outward - some turn out to the left and some to the right, depending on the location on the house.
Anyone ever install the vent with this type of window? Marina
Marina,
Get a mini split like Turtle said. I have seen the portable units like MovinCool. They will cool one part of a room at the expense of another part. All the electricity that goes into them comes out as heat. they make a better dehumidifier than air conditioner. If you put the exhaust hose in a window like the instructions say, you make up the exhause air with outside air and the net effect is zero effect, except your electric bill goes up.
Stretch

I have used a portable quite effectively for years since a window shaker without a slide out chassis, sort of permanently installed in a wall by previous owner, gave out in July one year. My windows have ancient steel framed screens, so I had no place to put another window shaker quickly. It is a single hose model, but it really does not draw that much air out of the room because it uses condensate evaporation to help cool the condensor, and just blows out the hot air and moisture at a lower rate than it blows out cold air. So it does provide more cooling than the amount of infiltration. I never had to drain it until the end of the season (northern Illinois) and then the most I ever got out of it was about a tablespoon of water.
There are units with 2 hoses to totally use outside air for cooling, but in my case with venting to a southern exposure, that might be less efficient than sucking in some room air from lower level or shady side.
But a portable is only easy with sliding windows. With crank open windows it would be a cobble job. So the more efficient mini-split does seem the best option, even if initially more expensive.

This is Turtle.
I would look into Mini-Splits central Air Conditioning system. Google [ Ductless Mini-Split air conditioners ] and you will see them. it is a central air conditioner system that the inside hangs on the wall and the condenser goes out side somewheres. they are made just for what you described here.
TURTLE
Get an ac contractor that understands air, to modify your ducts so more air goes into that room. Cheaper in the long run than some of the more exotic ideas. go to the National Comfort Institute web site to ask about contractors in your area who are certified in air balance. One of them should be able to help.
Stretch

Could be, if the contractor does the work for less than $200 and pays you $10/month for the next 20 years :-)
Nick
Schism wrote:

Use a window unit but mount it inside with just its butt sticking out.
Put it on a cart and roll it up to the window.
Who'll know?

I thought about that, but I know all the window units I've seen have vents on the side. Aren't they for expelling air as well?
Andy writes:
I have the same problem with an "attic" room and here's how I plan to solve it
I will build a hole in the wall to put the air condx in so that the BACK of the unit, where the air comes out, will expell into the attic area.
I will build a plenum between the wall and the back of the air condx, so that the INTAKE air, which blows over the heat exchanger, can be taken from the garage below. In this way the cooler garage air is taken in, and the heated air is expelled out into the attic, where a little extra heat doesn't matter.
Of course, the FORWARD heat exchanger will take in room air and blow out cooler air into the room, as in normal operation..... In this manner, the air condx will work jusst as if it was mounted in the window-- --- with the REAR heat exchanger intake taking in cool air and blowing hot air out the back...
Sure, it is a bit of trouble, and requires a few sheets of sheet rock or plywood to build the plenum, and an opening in the garage (or porch) ceiling, but I can use a little $68 dollar 5200 BTU air condx from Home Depot to cool a 12 x 12 room, and have a 5 year warranty, and pay no penalty for efficiency, and not piss off my neighbors....
Besides, I've retired, and have nothing else to do but think up stuff like this...
Good luck,
Andy