Improved security for shredders

Page 2 of 2
Not necessary here. Strip shred it, pull the trash bags, burn with the rest of the trash. If someone wants to steal it and piece together my last electric bill, they should have asked me! I have nothing to hide and know how to prevent identity theft. Not that I have anything to thieve. Or hide. It's no job to burn; we do it every weekend; saves a lot on the trash bills. Have a 2' x 4'H x 5' L incinerator; hardly ever even have any ashes in it, it burns so completely. It's called "Jaws"; if you can lift it, you can burn it!
Now watch the air quality fanatics come out of the woodwork! <G>
Pop

I'm sure that is true of you, but I like the story from a few years ago.
A man was doing something bad, stealing from the company or something.
Some woman would take his trash bags, leaving dummy trash bags of the same brand in their place. Then she would go home and glue the strips to a backing until she found out what they said, and I forget what he was doing but he got caught for it.
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:22 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I've heard people say, add it to your compost heap, well mixed in. This way the worms will eat it, and effectivly the material is completely distroyed.
Unless the worms talk?
;)
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

I didn't know that worms could read.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Fine, unless you use your compost on your vegetable garden, in which case you'll want to know what chemicals are in the assorted inks, and what the uptake-rate is for your plants.
sligojoe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Why waste shredder output? It makes good garden mulch, and it's good for starting fires, barbecues, etc.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Joseph Meehan wrote:

This might give you some impetus to do something about it: http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/creditcard/application.shtml
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
There is another thread in this group that is discussing ways to dispose of old paint. Might I suggest that one pour it in among a large group of shreddings to dry out before trashing, take care of two problems at once.-Jitney
sligojoe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Ultimate security for shredding comes by buying a micro-cut shredder. They aren't cheap (around $1000 and up). We've got one at work, and it cuts paper into threads about 3/32" wide and 1/2" long. That means that each piece of paper is cut into nearly 2000 pieces! Once documents have gone through a micro-cut shredder, no amount of piecing together will recreate them. Imagine trying to put together a 2000 piece puzzle, when the pieces are incredibly tiny and in a box with a few hundred other, different, 2000 piece puzzles.
A micro-cut shredder is overkill for most home uses, but they're damn slick for high- security uses (government/military/etc).
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Do you have a locked mailbox?

A couple of things I do...
1) I dump shredded documents straight into the garbage without a bag... that way someone can't easily just grab a bag and run.
2) I always dump them just before the trash truck comes. Not fool proof, but adds a couple of easy, effective free toughening protection layers.
3) I have a pair of 10" long sheet metal snips I keep in my desk to chop up old back up CD's, credit card's and the like. Cutting stuff like that is easy with them. BTW, a 'safer' cleaner way bust a CD in a pinch is to put it in the middle of a magazine, or newspaper section before flexing and snapping.
I actually caught some of my competition going through my trash late one night.
Those drive up post office mail boxes I think are dangerous too. They get full and the mail backs up the chute to where anyone can grab it. If your in a low car, you often can't even see if the mail is backing up. I've seen mail literally hanging out these boxes, and people there trying to jam in more... amazing.

Wow. What do you do for a living?

They don't anticipate problems. Neither do I most of the time, but I would consider leaving the mail hanging out to be "Put[ting] a stumbling block before the blind." Tempting someone to commit a crime by making it very easy. Can't do it.

I consult.

I just thought it to be amazing anyone anyone would leave their mail (or anything for all that matter) accessible like that....
Erik

They pay you to do that! I would have thought people consult you. ;)

Someone suggested mixing the shreddings with cat litter throwaways. Why not use the shreddings in the litterbox for litter?-Jitney
Anything that has my name and address on it gets shredded, even junk mail if it isn't addressed to "Resident"... Bills and such that might have account numbers or junk mail that might be offering credit cards get shredded and then put in a 5g plastic bucket that I fill with water and pulp the mixture for a few days... I have a paint / sheetrock mud mixing blade that I put in my drill and use to stir it up... The shaft of the device comes through a hole in the 5g bucket so that it doesn't make a mess... Sometimes I'll take this mixture and mix with concrete if I'm building something -- a quart of it added to an 80 lb bag of concrete doesn't affect it much, especially if it's just concrete fill for a CMU (aka "cinder block")... Sometimes I'll mix it up with the dirt in the landscaping beds... Sometimes I'll just throw some of it in a plastic grocery bag, wait for the water to leak out of it, and then throw the semi-dry mass away... The term for it is "pulping" I seriously doubt that anyone could piece together the fibers of the slurry and make anything out of it... The advantage of it over burning is that you can deposit the paper bits into the existing slurry mix, run the mixer for a minute or so and forget about it... Burning requires you to monitor the burn process, stirring it frequently so that everything turns to ash, not just charred paper bits... Of course, you could periodically flush a cup of the slurry every time you went to the bathroom... I suspect mixing it with your landscaping soil is more ecologically sound, albeit not as convenient as a flush... <grin>