Well system question

I'm on a well & septic system that has been serving us well since its installtion. I'm curious about a recent anomoly that has me concerned that something may be about to quit.

The problem was (is?) air in the pipes. In every faucet, including toilet tanks, we experienced a few days where we'd occasionally get that familiar explosion of air & water when we'd turn on the faucet. In recent days, the problem appears to have diminished (SWMBO hasn't complained about it.) What may have caused that? There was no water discoloration, and the water pressure seems fine otherwise and has been fine since. FWIW, the submersible pump is about 8-10 years old and the pressure tank is closer to

  1. As a descriptor of the effect, it was similar to what happens when the water has been turned off for a while for a repair, then turned back on. That little spray as air clears the pipe is what we experienced.

It's almost as though the well may have gotten low & the pump sent air into the system, but it's certainly not been drought conditions here (mid-Atlantic), and we've always seemed to be on a good aquifer, even in very dry spells. Is there anything about an aging pressure tank that could result in this sort of symptom?

Reply to
rb608

IMO, either the pump sucked in some air or the foot valve isn't doing its job, or the tank bladder is rupturing and letting air into the water. IF it's the tank bladder, you'll soon see short and frequent activity of the pump as it tries to work without the blader to take up the pressure/air space. If the foot valve isn't doing it's job, there could be lots of places letting air in as the pressure reverses and sucks instead of pushing. If it's a submersible pump this wouldn't apply, but if the pump's on top of the well, it could also be a leak in the pipe between the foot valve and the pump, letting air in. Split pipe, bad union, etc.; lots of possibilities. If it's a submerged pump, that wouldn't be a problem. This could come and go with the ground-water level too, depending on what it's doing at any given time.

I'm assuming it's both cold and hot water, mostly the cold, where you see this, right? If it's just the hot, then there are a few other possibilities but your descrip sounds like it's not just the hot.

HTH, Pop

Reply to
Pop

I can hear the bubbling noise when the toilet tank refills, so it has to be at least the cold. It's happened to SWMBO in the shower, & she usually turns on the hot first, so I'm guessing it's both.

JF

Reply to
rb608

if the pump is a goulds that is that age we have noticed the impellers will come apart and a small chunk will get caught in the check valve. when the pump cycles off it will allow air to enter around the o-ring at the pitless adapter. this could happen only if there is a check valve installed on the well side of the tank tee. have you noticed your cold water getting warm or low pressure latley? what area are you in? state? if you are in maryland get me the tag# off of the well and i can look it up for you.thanks scott

Reply to
rogersdawn2

The original pump was a Goulds, but it quit & was replaced with a Jacuzzi. Temp & pressure have been fine. As a matter of fact, MD is correct. I'll try & remember to jot down the number.

Tx, JF

Reply to
rb608

jacuzzi pumps are ok it may just be a bladder problem in the tank. have you noticed the water surging in the shower ie; strong then soft then strong then soft. you can call me at 1-800-935-5654 24 hrs ask for scott

Reply to
rogersdawn2