Impact driver vs. hammer drill

Hi,
What's the difference in technology between these two tools?
Many thanks in advance,
Sam
Hi,
What's the difference in technology between these two tools?
Many thanks in advance,
Sam

The impact driver "hammers" with the rotation of the bit (circular hammering, if you will), like beating on a wrench with a hammer. The hammer drill hammers along the axis of the bit, like pounding on a "star" bit. Different action for a different results.

To drive screws or loosen bolts you cant beat an impact driver. An example is say Ridgids 18v drll has about 450 lb torque, their 18v impact driver has about 1450 lb torque. Impact drivers have about 3x the torque to drive fasteners, but also the impact action alowed me last week to remove a screw with to small a Phillips bit without loosing grip, in my drill that bit just spun, I put it in the impact driver and it came right out. For jobs like building a porch it would be my choise of tool. But I dont think they have a torque limit like drills, so you dont strip out a screw, with mine I have to be real carefull. And you know what a hammer drill is for.
Sam Takoy wrote:

An impact driver is essentially the same as an impact wrench and provides a rotary impact torque that helps break loose stuck nuts and bolts, and helps reduce driving friction for screws in wood.
A hammer drill or rotary hammer provides a linear impact force useful for drilling masonary. There are technical differences between a hammer drill and a rotary hammer as well although they both provide the same type of action.

A hammer drill 'hammers', like you are pounding a nail. An impact driver 'bangs' in the direction it is turning, like hammering on a wrench to loosen a nut.
A whole different animal. Both great for what they are designed for-- and neither will do the other's job.
Jim
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:14:22 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Impact drivers may also be powered electrically or pneumatically (and may not have all that much mass - a Bosch PS40 is ~1kg).
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Most impact drivers that people use are cordless battery powered units that provide a continuous impact driving action. The old manual hammer on single impact drivers are handy to have, but a very different thing.

Plenty of gas and air operates hammer drills and rotary hammers available.

Both impact drivers and hammer drills are available in versions powered manually, electrically, and pneumatically. Hammer drills are also made that are driven by small engines, maybe someone makes an engine driven impact too. There may be other power sources, these are only the ones I've seen personally.

On Nov 26, 7:14am, "Stormin Mormon"

I think he meant battery powered impact drivers, i just got one from ebay
On 11/25/2010 10:33 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:

an impact will "hammer" torsionally. A hammer drill "hammers" in and out.
--
Steve Barker