Identify this piece of hardware

Page 3 of 3

On 01/08/10 09:26 am, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I access Usenet through eternal-september.org (can't remember what it used to be called) and Thunderbird 3. I saw the picture.
I would call the thing a clevis bolt.
Perce

I googled "eye bolt" under images and found some that looked a lot like this
Jimmie
On 1/8/2010 6:08 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

Close, but no cigar. None of the pictures I saw look exactly like the pieces I have. They're more or less morphologically the same (sorry to use such a big word, but it fits), but there are some important differences. My pieces have a fairly long unthreaded shank, with relatively few threads at the end, which suggests they're supposed to stand proud of the surface they're attached to. There's also a ring, like an attached washer, below the "eye".
Someone else here suggested a clevis: sorry, not that either. A clevis generally has two prongs through which a pin goes. So I still don't know what to call these.

- a Usenet "apology"

Your defense of your posting peccadilloes caused you to take your eye off the ball. If you had searched for clevis pins, and did an image search from there, or leafed through a catalog, it would have led you to this:
http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/images/Attachments/misc/shackleCM.jpg
On 1/8/2010 8:56 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Me? take my eye off the ball? I represent that remark.
Anyhow, bingo: you win the contest. Your $2.50 check will be mailed to you shortly.

- a Usenet "apology"

You need to change your handle to Norm Crosby :-)

Yes, this could be a male clevis which would normally fit in a slot or female clevis, the one with two prongs. Function rather than form often determines its name. shackle, eyebolt or clevis may all be correct. Hope this helps. Dont expect to find this at the hardware store.
Jimmie
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:14:43 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

Now that someone posted a link to a picture properly, I know what it is. Those shackles are VERY common, and it is hard to imagine a hardware store that DIDN'T carry them. They are used for wire rigging, such as used to cable trees. You'll have to buy the shackle along with the threaded clevis pin, but they aren't expensive, either. If you want stainless steel versions, they are all over the place on boat rigging.
On Jan 9, 9:25am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I had the impression his was designed for a specific purpose with the long shank and short threaded area. On the other hand he may just need an eyebolt.
Jimmie
It is the removable pin from a clevis similar to: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=clevis&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=HohIS_r4BYWSsgPyyZX2Dw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved CoQzAMwAg
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Apparently you are completely unfamiliar with rigging hardware.
I usually never participate in any of the name calling, but for any that would like to see turnbuckles with many different ends including clevis ends, you might look here: http://www.kingsnaps.net /
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

OK- now you did it. What do you use their "Spring Hook" SHH-06 for? They come in stainless, so I suspect marine use-- but I've never seen anything like it. [in the picture on the linked page it is the big wire thing on the left side of the pic.- just above the clevised turnbuckle]
Jim
On 1/10/2010 6:22 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Actually, as it turns out I am. Does that make me dense? Stupid? Worthy of being called names?
I still see little relation between turnbuckles and clevises, except that some turnbuckles have clevises on their ends (which I didn't know--so sue me).

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl posted for all of us...

Nebby, your pix didn't come through; as it shouldn't...
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.