Identify this piece of hardware

Page 1 of 3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080703040008050307060807 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
See attached pic (small GIF).
I've found two of these the last few days, one small (~1"), the other several times larger. Just wondering what the proper name for them is.
(Please disregard mis-drawn left-hand threads.)

- a Usenet "apology"

binary group no attachments.
post picture on internet and then post link.

Actually, with XNews, it saw it and saved it as a gif. Don't know the specifics but can only guess it uploaded as text and Xnews decoded it to a gif. Here it is as a linked jpg.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2zehw60.jpg
David: It looks like you used Thunderbird to post. Did you ATTACH it as a gif? INCLUDE as inline? Just curious.
On 1/7/2010 8:58 PM Red Green spake thus:

Just attached it, just like you'd do for any ordinary email message. No magic. (I drag the file to the compose window, which automagically opens an attachment pane to accept the file, whereupon I drop it.)

- a Usenet "apology"
<snip>

this is how you post it David.
:-)
It looks like the pin from a clevas (shackle) http://www.shrockworks.com/3-4-Clevis-Shackle-Black-Powder-Coat-pr-16149.html

Ray wrote:

I agree, it looks just like the pins on some shackles I have in my rigging odds and ends bucket.

try this catalog: http://www.mcmaster.com /#
Some form of turnbuckle?
Tie-rod end (minus the ball joint)?
Part of some larger object that doesn't have a specific name of it's own?
Does the part with the loop thread into the next piece, and if so, do those threads go the opposite way of the ones shown?
Is the the "ring" near the center sooth, of does it have flats so it can be held/turned with a wrench?
Of course, if you meant 1" long rather than 1" in diameter, it's probably not a tie-rod...

It is some sort of tie-rod or turn-buckle end. Your description is vague and the pic isn't the greatest either and looks hand drawn to me.
Hank

Yeah- that was my first thought. but note that he just posted a message *with* attachment that amounted to 70 lines. I KF'd 3 fools yesterday that were quoting over 2000 lines of text.
I'm surprised my server [individual.net] didn't strip the gif or drop the post.
Jim
On 1/8/2010 4:02 AM Jim Elbrecht spake thus:

Why should they?
Sheesh. People seem to think there's some kind of enforceable ban on "binaries" in non-binary newsgroups. There ain't. No magic mechanism that strips them out and punishes the poster for daring to pollute the purity of the text-only NG.

- a Usenet "apology"

No, no enforceable ban. Some people said they couldn't see it, and you chose to not care. It's a courtesy thing - kind of like not getting pissy when asking for help.
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:33:54 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Actually, the majority of newservers DO filter out binaries from non-binary groups as a matter of standard practice. They realize that there are nitwits who will never understand why they aren't supposed to do that.
On 1/8/2010 10:45 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Sorry, I don't believe you.
Hey, I know: let's do a little poll. Right here. How many of you can see this image? My guess is most readers here. Hell, even Google Groups carried the GIF.
I think there's a small minority of news carriers that strip out "binaries". (There may be a majority of carriers that strip out such attachments if they are *above a certain size*.)

- a Usenet "apology"
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:03:14 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Google Groups? That's a website that ports usenet to a web interface. Doesn't really count as part of usenet. It's an alternative for nitwits who are too stupid to use a real newsreader. See also, "webtv"

Sorry, but you are simply misinformed on this point.
On 1/8/2010 11:10 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Seems like the burden of proof is on your side, then. Now, I don't know for sure that most news providers don't strip out "binaries", but I do know that I have never used one that did. Can you provide some evidence for your assertion?
And did *you* see my attachment?

- a Usenet "apology"
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:17:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl

No. I now use Newsguy as my usenet provider. They carry binaries, but only in binaries groups. They strip binaries from anywhere they don't belong. Previously I had a very large provider, Earthlink, who also stripped them out. My other previous provider, SBCGlobal, another very large company, likewise stripped them out. Actually, SBCGlobal and Earthlink would filter the entire post out, not just strip off the attachment.
If you want you posts to be seen by as many people as possible, it is strongly suggested that you post properly. All you do by posting binaries where they don't belong is guarantee that you have a much smaller audience. That seems foolish.