Ice Problem on wall + downspout

I am living in east coast, and today the weather is getting warmer, so I went outside for a walk. I discovered one of the downspouts on the side of my house got so much ice around it. The ice is so thick, actually it wraps the downspout and sticks to the wall, the ice goes all the way 10 ft from the ground. Not sure my description is good enough, I will take some photos later today.
I don't see my neighbors having that.. I have the aluminum downspout, is it the joint problem? or is there a hole in there causing leaking? What went wrong?? What causes that? Has anyone seen this before? How to fix it? Help...
C.P.
00_CuMPe3WaR3D12 wrote:

My first guess would be that the gutter needs to be cleaned. Sounds like it is keeping water from draining down the downspout. Either ice or old leaves, etc., could keep it from draining. Is there room at the bottom for it to drain? Could be an ice dam at that end, too. Either one could keep the downspout from draining and result in accumulation of ice you describe.
Okay. I took some photos...
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/images/downspout/1.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/images/downspout/2.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/images/downspout/3.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/images/downspout/4.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/images/downspout/5.jpg
Actually it is a brandnew house, I moved in 2004 summer... the builder installed the downspout in October 2004!!! I doubt there would be any big thing that prevents it from draining. Yes, it can be the ice at the bottom.. However, if this is a valid argument, why my neighbors have no problem?? why me only? Help.............................
C.P.

of
wraps
from
photos
is it

went
Is the downspout on the north side of the house? With warmer weather snow from the roof may melt then refreeze on the colder, shady north side downspout. Get enough of that then the downspout may fill with water, freeze then split open. "New" melted snow spills out and freezes on your wall. Look for a bulge in the downspout. That is probably where the problem is. If so, consider moving the downspout to the south side. Or, if there is no obvious downspout failure, the eavestrough-downspout junction may be leaking. Use some good caulking to seal it up in the spring.

side
it?
It is facing west + north, you are right, there is no sun light. Thanks a lot for your help, all of you.. There is nothing I can do at this moment, I have to wait till Spring or summer.
What about installing something like this http://www.easyheat.com/Content1/Products/Details/psr_detail.htm in the downspout? I think that may solve the problem!!!
C.P.

so
it
some
downspout,
the
of
"00_CumPeeWearD12" wrote

I would have to go with Norminn on first guess. Something blocking the downspout or elbow. Birds nest, squirrel nest, kids throwing a tennis ball on the roof and having it roll off, or an unscrupulous trade throwing debris in gutter in there when working. Could be the gutter isn't tilted enough for a correct flow of water. After you exhaust most the obvious, then continue to diagnose.
Downspout is clogged, if no blockage except ice put heat tape-wire down the downspout and plug in when its frozen.