Ice Maker Won't Dump Ice

Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there is a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Surrey, British Columbia

Reply to
Earl

Try spraying the tray with some Pam. Silicone spray might also work. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Icemaker in my GE fridge actually has a warmer built in. Not sure how you'd check it but might give you an idea of where to look.

Reply to
Noozer

Hi,

Replace the plastic tray. The tray often gets a chemical build up on the bottom ( this feels like rough sand paper ) and the cubes stick inside and will not dump out.

common style of this tray. ( since no model# was posted )

Usually is a clip on the end, once the clip is off the cube tray will pull off.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

My sister had a monkey ward fridge which was probably Norge. The tray gets twisted to release the cubes, then snaps when it comes off the stop that twists it. Jeff is right, a new tray will make it work for a while. They were buying them a few at a time before they canned the fridge.

Reply to
Greg

BTW these are real sensitive to fill level. If it is too low the ice doesn't get twisted enough to break loose.

Reply to
Greg

This is turtle

Jeff nailed it and just these few words left to say. Till you replace the plastic tray pull it out and soak it in vinegar for about 30 minutes. Also rub it good with your finger with the vinegar in it. Then replace it and sometime you can get another week or two before it starts it again. You can fine the replacement trays just about everywhere and even at

and it's about $18.00 or so.

Now pan will work but I think it gives a taste to the cubes.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The ice maker has a heater that should come on some seconds before the dump. It's like a windshield defroster.

No heating, no slight melting, no dump.

Reply to
JerryMouse

This is Turtle.

The ice maker he has is a Dole flip tray and has no heaters but just a ice cube tray that rotates and dumps the ice out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Wednesday December 22, 2004

Thank you for passing along the good tips. You are right about the "twisting tray" - that is the way it works.

I am definitely going to use the idea about cleaning the tray. I think the vinegar suggestion it a good one. When I clean it I will use vinegar.

Thanks again fellows. I will be back in ice again.

Reply to
thoseradiodays

This is Turtle.

The plastic tray when used over the years gets scratches in the cups and the scratches fill up with Calcium or sediment deposits which the scratches almost cover the cup and when the water freezes in the cup. the ice will attach it'self to the deposits and will not let go. It will let go of plastic but not the deposits. The vinegar will desolve the deposits to let the ice attach to the plastic and not the deposits. Now to clean the cups you can use any water deposit type clearer will work fine but I've seen vinegar seems to work best.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE