Ice Maker Stopped again!

A month ago we came back from vacation; when I turned the water back on the ice maker didn't work. I figured something had frozen. A few days latter, before I got around to defrosting, it started again. Today it stopped again. We hadn't turned the water off, so maybe it is something else? Any suggestions? It is a Kenmore side by side where the ice is stored on the door; I can't remember what real brand it really is. Thanks.

the
latter,
my friends stopped working because the "ice level bar" was blocked by a piece of ice
Hi,

How did it "stop"? Dead not doing anything, going through the motions but not filling, stuck 1/2 way through a cycle??

Kenmore is made by several different companies.... http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.
Frozen fill elbow/tube, freezer temp, jammed with an ice cube, wand arm stuck/jammed, bad fill valve, bad icemaker.....are some common trouble makers.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

Completely dead

Whirlpool, the side by side with ice in the door Looks to be like their ED5SHAXMT (Kenmore 106.51554104)

Fellow below says it is probably a defective fill tube. Is that something I can replace myself? He says it is professional only.

I have a twenty year old Whirlpool Ice maker that stops sometimes...I paid a repairman $50 to show me this trick...just take the cover off the ice maker exposing the gears and tap on them a little...rattle it a little...it may start back...
Open the freezer and blow your hair dryer in there on it for five or ten minutes just to thaw it out a little bit...you may get it working again...
Bill
Hi,
I'd recommend calling a local Independent servicer that handles Whirlpool products. Your refrig ice system's referred to as IDI, for 'in door ice'.
When I went to WPL school on these the year they were introduced, they looked like a great idea. And the idea is still a good one, but my, oh my, have these been a pain.
I suspect you have the frozen fill tube problem, and that requires a tech to repair. Basically WPL has a new tube assy that includes a heater, and these seemed to have solved that particular problem.
I've been seeing IR sensing circuit board problems too. But definitely have a WPL tech check it, he'll have seen it before
If it's a frozen fill tube, ask the tech if WPL will cover any of the cost. They did at one time.
Hope that's of some help.
God bless,
Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA www.DavesRepair.com snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com 570-363-2404
I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!) www.DavesRepair.com