Ice maker connection problem

I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection - just like for a washing machine.
The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.
Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection kit?
pupdef wrote:

Post a picture. I wanta see this. It might be you're misunderstand the connection.
--
Zyp

Something is wrong or missing. Did you recently buy this unit? Call your dealer
From the Frigidaire instructions: Before Installing The Water Supply Line, You Will Need
. Basic Tools: adjustable wrench, flat-blade screwdriver, and PhillipsTM screwdriver
. Access to a household cold water line with water pressure between 20 and 120 psi.
. A water supply line made of inch (6.4 mm) OD, copper tubing. To determine the length of copper tubing needed,
you will need to measure the distance from the ice maker inlet valve at the back of the refrigerator to your cold water
pipe. Then add approximately 7 feet (2.1 meters), so the refrigerator can be moved out for cleaning (as shown).
. A shutoff valve to connect the water supply line to your household water system. DO NOT use a self-piercing type
shutoff valve.
. A compression nut and ferrule (sleeve) for connecting the water supply line to the ice maker inlet valve.

Not the OP, but:
http://www.manbottle.com/pictures/redneck_yacht.jpg
Oren wrote:

Or even on topic, but funny nonetheless.
- Rodger
--

READ CAREFULLY. By reading the above message and/or this disclaimer,
you agree to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
pupdef wrote:

You have confused your refrigerator with a water heater.

No, at the bottom of his unit, he found a garden hose connection.
Oren wrote:

Right. It's a water heater.
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:03:43 -0800, pupdef wrote:

I've installed 3 ice makers on 3 different fridges and they all had 1/4 connectors. I don't think you're looking at the right thing because there is no need for that size connector.
I had one like this once. The hose fitting was on the side of the water valve. The installation kit provided an adapter to 1/4" feed tube. I assumed that the hose fitting was so that connect/disconnect could be done quickly. BTW, get the re-enforced plastic 1/4" hose, or else 1/4" copper tube. The other stuff will "cook" and burst at the most inconvenient time!
Somewhere in my pile of clutter I do have such an adaptor. I'm not sure how you'd get one local to you. Maybe a hardware store with a plumbing section.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"pupdef" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Here is a link to a picture of what I have:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pupdef/IcemakerConnection

I've never seen one like that. The instructions don't mention anything about needing an adapter, but evidently you do. Could it be a connector is missing from the factory? I'd at least ask the dealer.
I have seen a lot of valves with that type of connection. I guess they were on fairly old valves, and not used much anymore. It shouldn't be hard to find fittings to adapt at HD, Lowes or a hardware store. You will probably have to use two-- one from hose to pipe thread, and another from pipe to compresssion. Like Chris/Stormin Mormon, I am sure I have at least one around somewhere, so if you absolutely can't find what you need, EMail me and I'll see if I can find one. Larry