I keep hearing this creak between my first and second floor

like something is settling. I hear it maybe 4 or 5 times a week while sitting in my living room. There are no visible signs of cracks in my first floor ceiling but it's still a little disconcerting. Is this just a normal sound or a precursor to a larger problem developing.

Start by looking at everything in the basement, beams, walls , for cracks, see if a ball rolls on the floor to a low spot, windows and doors will be difficult to open and lock. Its likely expansion contraction from temperature changes and is normal if its continous.
Joe wrote:

    How old is this home and where is it located?? Additional information might also be useful.

56 years old in Connecticut. I've been hearing it all summer and now it's the fall and the temp is down to 50-60 degrees.
Joe wrote:

Describe the type/loudness?
How long you been in the house?
How long has this been apparent?
Possibly could also be plumbing or duct work moving against supporting or against joist, etc. Does it correlate w/ using water, showers, dishwasher, etc., or HVAC cycling?

like a single knock

2 years

last month or two

no, I mostly notice it at night when nothing is on and the house is quiet
Ken wrote:

Ghosts?
Call a priest from your local church, to come out and bless the house?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I found out what it was. It was my dining room table! one of the legs is lose and the weight of the table was causing the sound. I've tightened up the leg, if this doesn't work I'll call for the priest!

Get a longer level and start checking the floors and the verticles. If anything is "out of line" first record the data (e.g.: LR floor drops 1/4" per 10' toward that back). Do some "detective work" and see if settling at some particular point would explain your data. Monitor and keep taking data to see if your problems are progressing. Sometimes cracks occur when there is little settling but sometimes you will not see cracks because of the combination of the regidity of the overall structure which doesn't permit much distortion of the walls and the flexibility of the internaal wall covering.
If things seem to be "progressing," you should start looking for an expert to analyze things and "fix it."