I Can't turn off my ceiling fan

Page 2 of 2

never mind. if you have one of those that connects to different windings on the motor, I suppose that's just a switch. duh.
<snip>

Yes, I didn't explain that well.
The outlet in the wall was wired so that the normal hot was neutral and vice versa. The circuit was run in thinwall electrical conduit with no separate ground wire (the EMT was serving as ground) IIRC. (It's been a while.)
The metal chassis of the computer should have been at ground. But it was hot. The computer ran fine, all it cares about is 110 VAC.
The LAN cable was twin-ax, two connectors covered by a coaxial shield, with nice big metal end connectors. So the shield and connector at this PC was hot. The next PC on the network was at proper ground, so its shield and connector were at ground. The two LAN cables were hooked together in the middle with a double female barrel connector, so when I connected them I had a hot metal connector in my left hand and a grounded one in my right hand, and got that old familiar tingle.
Had they been power wires I would have tested with a meter first, but who ever thinks of a network line carrying power?
If you're willing to shell out $30-40, you can get a module that lets you make the fan remote controlled. Otherwise, you can get a cheap replacement switch for $10 or so.
As usual, turn the power off at circuit breaker before attempting any work :)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have no idea why, but this reminded me of the *old* Robert Klein skit where he's playing blues harp and singing "I Can't Stop My Leg"
Thanks, :-) Bob