i broke the ceiling!!

i was cleaning the attic (want to change the insulation) i stepped on the surface between joints and i broke 2 ribs and now there is a hole in the bathroom ceiling please see this picture

I am so upset now because i did break thing instead of fixing it. how to repair it now? home depot is not open today and i am so frustrated. any idea on how to fix my bathroom ceiling would be very much appreciated.

Reply to
leza wang

You are not the first to do this and your damage is minor. Some years ago, my wife's uncle went through his ceiling until he caught himself at about waist deep. I know of a half dozen others similar accidents.

Looks like plaster over lath. There are a few ways of patching this and you will learns some new skills along the way. Do a search fro plaster repair and you should be able to find much information, better than what I can tell you.

I'm hoping by "ribs" you mean the wood strips and not your ribs. If it is the wood, that too is minor at it is not structural, it just holds the plaster in place.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What he says, then you will be able to add a new skill set to your list of home repairs that you have made.

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's the best way. Plaster ceilings don't take kindly to patching that kind of hole. Even unbroken plaster ceilings often pull away and get wavy. Once too many plaster keys get broken, they keep breaking. Even trimming the edges will break or weaken keys on the unbroken part. And the shimming work to level the patch isn't easy. For a large room, I would patch, and cross my fingers. For a small bathroom, I would pull it all down and drywall. I might trim for a patch first, then sound the remaining plaster to make sure it's solidly attached before deciding. Nah, I'd just pull it down. Then after the taping the entire room would need painting.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Back when I was young and not too smart, I lived in a duplex. I lived downstairs and some friends (a young couple) lived upstairs. I was not exactly sober, when I decided to go in the attic to search for treasures in this old building.

Well, somehow I missed the board I was walking on, and fell all the way thru the ceiling, falling down into my friends bedroom, and landing on top of their tv, which was turned on. Worse yet, they were in bed doing the unspeakable, when I came crashing thru the ceiling, and destroying their bedroom tv set.

That too was a lath and plaster ceiling, and I took down about a 6x8 foot section of the ceiling. My friends were covered with plaster and so was their whole bedroom. They had to stop their bed fun, and the tv was smashed and emitting smoke. I was cut up from the laths and badly bruised. Of course this was in the early 70's and this just became an excuse to have a party, do some drinking, and other substances.

Back in the 60's and 70's everyone was saying "Tune in, turn on, and drop out". Well, I did the opposite. I dropped IN, turned OFF my friends sex, and tuned OUT their tv reception...... However, this was not forgotten by my friends, who told other friends, and everyone was laughing...... Hey, I just DROPPED IN (literally).....

"I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in".... (Words from a song of that era).

Yea, I had to fix the ceiling with sheetrock, (the landlord was pissed), and replace my friends tv......

In summary, I learned to stay out of unfinished attics when I'm intoxicated!!! Another one of life's lessons.......

Reply to
jw

Of course, learning not to get intoxicated might be an even better lesson...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Best AHR story of the month. Maybe the year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski