I-Beam twisted

Not sure what your original engineer was thinking but they sound like they were working in a box--trying to patch something that should be rebuilt for the sake of ecomomics. My wife (structural engineer) took a look at your post and indicated that a good engineer with the proper resources at hand (such as a construction company under the duress of a persistent lawyer) should be able to facilitate the correction of your problem in no time. The beam may or may not need to come out, but this is not for you to worry about. Get an attorney to make it his problem.

cj

Reply to
CJ

No, -he- doesn't need to do anything except get enough force applied to the -builder- to fix it. If it takes lawyers, so be it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Everyone seems to be concerned with replacing the beam, but not fixing the root problem. It seems the house would have to be jacked up off the foundation to do this? Is the framing somehow offset from the beams? How does one fix that without repositioning the beams somehow? I would vote for a new beam if possible. Why? if the house is ever sold, any defect would have to be disclosed or a possible lawsuit could happen. Would you want to buy the house if it had a slightly twisted beam? Even if it was fixed? Kind of like buying a wreck repaired car with a bent frame. Its worth a LOT less.

Now, if this was a new subdivision, my question would be are all his neighbors houses the same way? That's a big can of worms. If they are and you open it, the builder might go out of business and the homeowner left holding the bag.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

What makes you think this low-carbon alloy work hardens?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Experience ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

etc.

Reply to
DanG

I have 5 Wide-flange steel beams in my home. For the longer ones, 53 feet, I specified plates that are welded to the flanges (top and bottom) and the web every 5 feet to prevent twisting. To not do this is irresponsible. Whoever designed the structure and signed off on it is liable if they are licensed to practice engineering or architecture. If they aren't licensed they should not have done the design and should be pursed for practicing without a license.

I'm also concerned that you could see this because in my opinion all steel should be wrapped (preferably two layers) with a fire retarding material like gypsum board or concrete. To not do this means that if you have a fire no firefighter that is aware of your home's construction will do much more than address it from afar.

RB, PE

Steve Thomas wrote:

Reply to
RB