HVAC filters and open windows

Thermostat war, huh?

Why would you want the AC on if it's below 75 anyway? You can have the air filtered without using an AC, but filtering the air is pointless if the windows are open.

RicodJour

Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If allergies are the concern I think you will need electrostatic filter. As for opening the windows, if it makes you feel good, go ahead. Just because you are filtering the air at times does not mean you gotta turn your house into a bubble of sorts. Live life.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

You are correct. It makes little sense. But nobody's perfect.

Reply to
JimL

On 07/11/05 10:02 am RicodJour tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

No, it's not a thermostat war -- not a tmperature war, anyway. We could leave the thrmostat set for 75F and set the fan switch to "on" rather than "auto" and circulate filtered 74-degree air rather than have the pollen, etc. coming in through the open windows with the unfiltered

74-degree air.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Sure, it keeps people working and generates profits for the sellers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some, if not all electrostatic filters can cause problems with the system be restrictring airflow. Beware....

Reply to
HeatMan

Why run the AC when it is 75 F outside? Because the air is humid. I could never figure out why someone would run the AC all day for comfort, then open the windows and fill the house with humid air. If the humidity is low then no problem. I won't open them 'till 60-65F. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It was reported that Richard Nixon would crank the thermostat down and have a fire lit in the White House in the summer.

Jimmy Carter cranked it down in the winter and wore a sweater.

I still not sure which of the two was nuttier. [g]

Wes in Tucson, where it's estimated the temp will be 110 today (a record for the date) and the dew point will be in the 30's.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Because they enjoy having the windows open. Simple pleasure.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I went to school in Texas. They have fans on even during the colder winter days. I live in Michigan. Here, most people sleep under comforters (heavy blankets) even in the summertime.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I think that it is pretty obvious that you already know the answer to your question.

Many years ago we often gave in to the same temptation - opening windows on cool evenings "to save some money" and "to get some fresh air." The first problem is the fact that the cool evening air may still have very high humidity and the next day when you turn the AC back on, it will consume a lot of electricity removing that moisture from your house. Often your electric bill would be lower by leaving the windows shut on those marginally cool evenings and you are driving up your electric bill by getting that "free" evening cool air.

The bigger issue for allergy sufferers is the fact that it is often very stupid to let the allergins into the house. By analogy, it generally takes 6 months after pets have been removed from a house before the allergins related to them are no longer bothering family members. Obviously airbourne allergins won't take 6 months to remove, but without a very outstanding HEPA filtering system and a furnace fan set to run 24 hours a day, you probably don't have the windows closed long enough to provide allergy relief before the next time the family member opens the windows again.

If a family member insists on opening windows in the evening, then I would pretend to be installing more expensive filters while actually buying cheaper, marginally acceptable filters. Why waste money humoring somebody who is ignoring reality?

I notice that you are already getting advice from somebody who questions why you would run the AC when the temp is below 75. Perhaps because it is your home, your comfort level & your money.

You're also getting bright advise "Just because you are filtering the air at times does not mean you gotta turn your house into a bubble of sorts. Live life." This is obviously from somebody who is ignorant of the suffering that others can go through because of allergies. And certainly this is somebody who has never had to rush a child to the ER at 3AM due to an asthma attack. Some folks have to turn their homes into bubble homes to "survive." Anybody who can't understand that fact is a moron.

Off on a tangent - I hope that your family member is getting optimal medical treatment for allergies. Flonase and Loratadine (ie, Claratin) are cheap and extremely effective for many people. For some, they are miracle drugs.

Good luck, Gideon

Perce

Reply to
Gideon