How to use block in step building

I have a 4' x 6' footer to build block steps up (about 42" high or 6 steps)to front porch deck. I don't want to cut any more block than necessary. So, if I want a rise of 7"; do I get there by using 6" block and then adding 1" caps (I _think_ I saw some somewhere)on top? If not, how? Also, will the treads pretty much need to be 16" if I'm using "regular" sized block? MUCHO thanks. Lee

Reply to
Lee Brown

HUH???????????

I never heard of anyone building steps from blocks......

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

If your talking about using blocks for your risers, then use a standard

8x8x16 block but set the each riser block deep enough to give you the rise that you want.

If you already have a footing, the you will have to cut down the height of the first (lowest) riser blocks.

I've done this when putting in crude steps, leading down a hill side. The just pour a tread cap on top of each step to tie them together..

Steve

Reply to
Steve