How to use block in step building

I have a 4' x 6' footer to build block steps up (about 42" high or 6 steps)to front porch deck. I don't want to cut any more block than necessary. So, if I want a rise of 7"; do I get there by using 6" block and then adding 1" caps (I _think_ I saw some somewhere)on top? If not, how? Also, will the treads pretty much need to be 16" if I'm using "regular" sized block? MUCHO thanks. Lee
<< don't want to cut any more block than necessary. >>
We have company that makes all manner of precast concrete steps and such in our area. Check your yellow pages and if there is similar in your city pay them a visit. Odds are you'll find some really neat ideas for your project, Good luck.
Joe
On 8 Nov 2003 04:55:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lee Brown) wrote:

I never heard of anyone building steps from blocks......
If your talking about using blocks for your risers, then use a standard 8x8x16 block but set the each riser block deep enough to give you the rise that you want.
If you already have a footing, the you will have to cut down the height of the first (lowest) riser blocks.
I've done this when putting in crude steps, leading down a hill side. The just pour a tread cap on top of each step to tie them together..
Steve