Hot water heater leaking

The unit is at least 12 years old. The water is coming out the pressure relief valve pipe. When I turn the heat off and the water cools, it stops to a drip. But when I turn the heat back on and the water is heated back up, it flows out pretty fast. Is this a bad pressure relief valve?

I've already tried flushing it out by opening the valve manually many times. This does nothing.

I should also mention there is a small leak under the unit somewhere. Nothing major and it's been there awhile, so I think this is a seperate issue.

Reply to
Talc Ta Matt

Yes

Right, it won't

Time for a new heater before it gets to be a big leak. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Replace the relief valve. If you still have occasional dripping from the relief, you may have excessive pressure due to thermal expansion:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It is not difficult to replace the pressure relief valve, but with the increased pressure, that other leak may grow. It sounds about time for a replacement.

Reply to
Paul A

I vote with Jim, but since the unit is 12 years old, it may be time for a new heater. You also may want to check the pressure in your home, it may be a little high.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Also wanted to add that those valves are both pressure and temperature sensitive. Just how hot is the water?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it leaks with the heat turned off, then it is a bad valve. The odds of fixing it by opening it repeatedly is very small.

You can replace the valve cheaply enough, but then you still have a 12 year old heater with a leak. Get rid of it now while it is a small leak rather then in 2 months when it is a major leak, and save the $10 the valve will cost.

That it leaks more with the heater on is probably not a problem; my pressure can temporarily go from 50psi to 80psi when the heater cycles (some day I will get around to installing an expansion tank), but it could be a problem if it is going too high. For $5 get a pressure gauge and check it.

Reply to
Wade Lippman
10 years from a hot water tank is pushing it.

T & P valve costs less than $10.

Any other leak from the tank says the tank has failed and needs to be replaced.

Reply to
DanG

You state that the problem is water comes out of the pressure relief pipe. Thus, the tank isn't leaking the valve is leaking. What is the logical solution getting a new tank or getting a new valve? Right. Buy a new valve for $5.00. Failure of these valves is not uncommon, and they may fail after only 3 or 4 years. BTW, many hot water tanks last much longer than 12 years. The first tank in my house lasted 21 years and the valve started leaking and needed replacement after about 6 years.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon