How to treat your HVAC tech

Page 2 of 3

Red Green wrote:

You could hold his beer and watch.

He could actually trust me with it since I don't drink. Now as far as Cindy...
Better off with a good Mormon. We neither drink, nor fornicate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Uhhh, yuhhhh, maybe later. I strive for progress, not perfection.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's not the way I heard it. Where do all those babies come from?
Oh! I get it. The GOOD Mormans don't fornicate.
Fornicate: To have sex with someone other than one's spouse.
(You and your spouse can have as much whoopee as you want. But, only with your spouse.)
I don't think you "get it" at all.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

All I can say is there weren't many mormons at the '69 Woodstock. Everybody was f'n and f'd up.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh yea, reproduction by cloning. Explains a lot. ROTFLMAO
TDD
Aparently, you don't know the law of chasity.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Chastity? Didn't she have female to male conversion surgery? She was such a cute little girl when I saw her being held by her parents Sonny and Cher on their TV show. Who would have thunk it?
TDD
On Mar 2, 6:44pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Many, many years ago, as a trained electronics tech. I used to fix TVs as a sideline! I think and hope I built a reputation, when TV repairmen were not well regarded, for honest and straightforward dealing! Later got elected to a community council but whether that meant TV repair and municipal politics were viewed in a similar (favourable or bad?) light one doesn't know! {:-)
Anyway; only twice did I have 'suspicious' customers. One in particular was either that way or had been previously burnt!
It WAS in that case necessary to take the TV away and do a 'bench job'. Replacing several small parts and one tube (remember them?) as needed. Knowing the nature of my customer I made good and sure that the 'defective' parts that one always returned to every bench-job customer were really 'blown'!
It was the only time ever resorted to that tactic, knowing that my customer was likely to take the 'defective tube' over the drug store tube tester (remember them too?) and find that it had perhaps 20% to 30% emission and 'So why did I replace it?". It was a diode by the way; a type somewhat notoriously difficult to test correctly. In this case TV didn't work with the old one and worked fine with a brand new one, then costing probably about $3.50. I used to make about 50 cents mark up on such a tube and often had an investment of some $250 worth of tubes in the caddy!
BTW back in those halcyon days of the late 1950s used to charge $2.50 for a house call. No charge if didn't fix it in the customers house. One occasion traipsed up some three stores of an older house in the city and found that the TV was unplugged! Ah well, no charge!
Best analysis ever had from a customer who called and who I asked; "What seems to be wrong with your TV set?" was, "Well she talks but she don't see".
99.9% of the people around here very reasonable.

You popped some memory bubbles on that post for sure! Including the drug store where I worked. My uncle used to fix TV's on the side and would scavange all the tubes from the RIP's. He had buckets and buckets of them totally unsorted. My job was, "Hey 'Red'. Find me a n-x-x-n-l". I felt like a wizard. I think he was impressed how I could sort through them without "cheaters" as he called them and not squint.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubecollection/john_allen.html

I usually fulfill that function. I'm expert in handing him things, and holding the flashlight.
For carpentry projects, I can also cut lumber to a specified length.
Cindy
Lets be careful, with the quoted text!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Whew. That's better quoted text job.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Smile, Nate, I can't tell either but there are several possibles. One, the job is now too small and you live far eough away that it isnt cost effective foir him.
Lets spec that out. If driving time to your location is 1 hour, he has to pay the worker 1 hour wages each way.. It's not applicable in my situation as they are 5-10 mins away, but may be in yours. 'Labor' costs go way up if the person pretty much has to spend all day to get to and from your location.
Second, he may be so good that he's flooded with work. 1 hour at your place for 100$ profit means he can't fit in that 7,000$ profit job he has in the wings. My fencing guy from before now works with clients who go 'oh it's that cheap?' at 10,000 for the same job I am having done and he spec'ed for 3,500$ in 2007. He's good dont get me wrong and I'm happy for him but he's booked solid. He's now got the upperscale folks and I am happy for him.
Third, you *might* have hung over his head a bit too much. I've seen folks advise 'watch them all the time' but in reality, it's pretty irritating to have someone peering over your shoulder. Think about when you are at work and if you want that? If the first impression you give the worker is that you trust them to do well by you, and they will. They also take reall well to comments like: 'I know some things but little of this so do you mind if I learn a little about your trade?'. Hehe I might actually *know* their trade but it makes people feel good in a great way if you approach it from the right angle.
My own tactic is to play 'dumb blonde' who knows just enough if they havent been here before (sadly they catch on pretty quick now) and make them happy to show off the fine details of their work while I smile and go 'wow'. It works at the start and is harmless until they figure out the 'petite lady they were talking to flipped houses from age 5 with her Mom for a living'. After they figure it out, they just laugh and ask me if I have any tips which depending on the item, I may have.
PS: Just so it makes sense, I have medical issues so have to contract out things I know how to do, but sadly no longer can.

Homeowners that have to stand over me like I can't be trusted is my biggest turn off...Even more so if they try to tell me how to do it or question every move I make...I have been doing drywall for nearly 30 years and never stolen anything or ripped anyone off and don't need somebody babysitting me and offering how to tips from some stupid DYI show...I just won't do any more work for them...I say I'm "busy"...Same for showing up with a crew and delivery truck with materials and told they aren't ready for me after calling and telling me it's ready to go and get pissed when I charge extra for it...Never again...I'm "busy"...

Well sometimes they just want to learn what they can. Sometimes the Q's are a result of an opportunity to learn something from someone who knows what they are doing. Yea, one considers it being watched and in reality they are being complimented as a souce of reliable information.
Yea, I know the PITA's too. The DIY show parrots, the "Well we used to do it yadda yadda", the "I think you should yak yak". the "My uncle would do it blah blah.
I rebuild severely trashed foreclosed homes but I don't do HVAC. I have a guy I really trust and visa-versa. When he works on a system I stick with him like glue and I ask questions. I have a reasonable knowledge of physics, math, chemistry, electronics and electrical. He knows that by the things I ask (not question) and is glad to offer up words. In one house where the air handler was in the attic and it was July on the North/South Carolina border and 98 at noon, I stuck with him up there in the attic. When he fired up the mapp gas on top of that he looked at me and snickered.