How to screw in a light bulb.

Page 1 of 3
How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in the bulb in tight and turning on the light?
This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.
Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder to get contact with each subsequent bulb.
Joe

in
the
harder
Thank you for sharing that with us Joe. I have been doing it wrong my whole life; I guess I will be seeing dozens of crushed bases any time now from my years of carelessness.

whole
my
OMG, another major project! There must be 30 incandescant lamps in this place of mine. :-(

Your electrician is a hack. The proper and accurate way is to use a torque wrench.
BB
No the proper way is hold the bulb and turn the socket
That wasn't obvious to me until you mentioned it. What's the torque spec, though?
Your electrician is also trying to snow you into thinking that only an electrician can properly install a bulb. He must be feeling the competition from Home Depot.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A light turn will do!
BB
My concern would be that the bulb may not be making good contact with the lamp socket. If the connection is loose, excessive heat will be generated and cause more damage then from overtightening.

in
the
harder

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure the fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off halfway. Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use the stupid metric system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial system (110 volts).
Chuckles wrote:

Hi, Stupid(?) Metric system has better efficiency. Korea converted to 220V some time ago. They have surplus power, utility company is asking people to use more power. Tony

I am sorry, but you are an idiot.
Aren't you the same guy who was insisting that light bulbs have significant inductance at 60Hz?
Chuckles wrote:

Hi, I am sorry, you must be one too. Like kinds always recognize same. Where is this word significant coming from? Reread my posts. Tony
Only when Ransley is off his medication. Then it vibrates his brain.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hook, line and sinker.
That is funny.
[Hint: what is "metric"/"imperial" about 220V versus 120V? Answer: _nothing_ whatsoever.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

Quite. In any case, European voltage is now 230 V nominal (although 220 V is within tolerance). Normal British light bulbs do not screw. They are bayonet fittings just like those on cars.
The people in the electrical store claim not to understand me when I ask for a 205 BTU per hour bulb.
snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote in

I wonder if it is threads like this that contribute to the design of government issue $5000.00 light bulb torque wrenches?
Is dielectric grease now available in caulk tubes? Or was that Noalox?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Joe wrote:

Hi, Hello...., Common sense, where are you? Tony
On 29 Oct 2003, Joe wrote:

<conventional wisdom>
TFT. Two Fingers Tight. No tighter than you can turn it with two fingers.
</conventional wisdom> <advice>
And you shouldn't squeeze too tight on a bulb with 2 fingers.
</advice>
HTH.
Right. and did he tell you how to plug in and unplug an extension cord? or perhaps, what color of extension cord saves the most electricity?