[SOLVED] How to remove old GE microwave oven...

Got a now-broken, 20-year-old microwave oven that I'm trying to remove. It was made by General Electric and says "GE SpaceMaker" (or SpaceSaver?) on the outside.

I've installed other brands before, so I THOUGHT I could figure out how this old GE is being held into place (it's a 30-inch wide under the cabinets over the stove model).

I've take the upper bezel and the lower panel down and looked around inside with a flashlight, but it is still UNCLEAR just what is holding it in place.

Seems like maybe the 3-sided outermost panel (rather than just a backplate!?) is holding it in place. It may (or may not) have some kind of 'slide out on a track' thing...something visible inside sort of looks like that, but I can't find any latch-release or anything for that.

So, rather than me SPECULATE further: Can someone tell me definitely how this damn thing can be de-installed?

TIA...

Dave

Reply to
David Cook

Here's a typical installation nowadays:

Even though it is old, is there any chance that GE has the installation instructions available?

Travis Jordan

Look inside the cabinet above it. Are there 2-4 screws driven through the bottom into the microwave?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

actually the front panel comes off and you will see where it is attached (more like hung) on a long screw thing through the back bracket.

Reply to
ClaudCar

Nope. The 'long screw-like thing' (which goes up at an angle) is what some of the Japanese brands use. But, the GE does NOT have any such animal.

Reply to
David Cook

Nope. I thought of that already, and looked.

(That would be a non-standard approach, I think. This one is no doubt done the recommended way, which is what I can NOT figure out.)

Reply to
David Cook

I had one of these and mine had two slotted screw heads behind the grill above the door, these were long bolts that screwed into a steel plate bolted to the wall. The bottom of the oven was hooked over a lip on this plate. CARFULL... when the two screws(blots) are removed the oven will fall forward, it must be supported while doing this.

Good luck.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

Reply to
Micro*

I agree with this. I remember that I needed my neighbor to help me hoist it onto some rear bracket while I screwed in the 2 long screws down through the top cabinet into the top of the microwave. Very heavy... I you used a jack or something under it, you might be able to do single-handedly...

howard in santa rosa

Reply to
Howard Moss

replying to MLD, Suzy wrote: We removed the three screws from the top. But it isn?t budging. You said there is a bracket that has a screw in the back, can you see it? We don?t see any place where another screw might be. Any suggestions? Does microwave pull out from the bracket?

Reply to
Suzy

Did you try GE website to see if they have the old install instructions?

Reply to
trader_4

replying to David Cook, Donie wrote: The OLD GE Spacesaver microwaves (the ones with wood grain look on the front and dials) are installed in a “shelf/case” like assembly. The microwave actually slides into this shelf/case, rather than having a tilt down style mounting plate.

Remove the top two screws in the cabinet above, then remove the top vent screws. There are two hex head screws (in Each corner) behind the top vent that hold the microwave to the shelf/case.

Next, remove the screws underneath the microwave. The bottom of the microwave has a hinge on the back and will just drop down.

Remove the two screws that hold the electrical cover. Disconnect the electrical (the electrical plug is part of the shelf/case).

The microwave should now slide out revealing the mounting screws rust hold the shelf/case assembly to the wall.

Reply to
Donie

some models have a safety latch that must be disengaged. after you take the bolts out you need to remove the louvers at the top

there will be a small lever that you pull to release the safety latch

CAUTION, when you pull the lever, be prepared to support the weight of the oven.

If you have not done it before, I would call it a 2 person job.

There is a YouTube showing this.

makolber

replying to makolber, Virginia wrote: Where is lever located?????

Reply to
Virginia

on mine, it was behind the vent grill.

take off the front grill and there will be a small metal rod lever that you pull m

Reply to
makolber

replying to makolber, Cookin’ with steam wrote: This might be the case with my he space maker which we can’t get out. Can you send YouTube link?

Reply to
Cookin’ with steam

replying to Cookin’ with steam, Katie wrote: Did you ever get your microwave removed? My old JVM140 is stuck. We removed the 2 screws from the cabinet above and the 2 very long screws from behind the top grill. I don't see a safety latch, but something is holding it..

Reply to
Katie

Reply to
Katie

replying to Donie, Ron Markovich wrote: Donie is correct. These microwaves are mounted differently than most new ones are. I have one of these models (1984). Mine finally just died and I have to remove it. The microwave in part by the the metal shell that surrounds the sides and top of the microwave.

Reply to
Ron Markovich

replying to Katie, TerryBG wrote: Did you ever figure out how to remove your microwave? We’re trying to remove one now. Thank you.

Reply to
TerryBG