how to remove lint fully from dryer's lint collector

There's always this layer of "permanent" lint on the lint grille that doesn't come off... How to defeat this problem?
184678.news.uni-berlin.de:

Here's a little tip I learned. Take you lint trap to the kitchen sink and turn the water on lightly. I'll bet water does not pass through the lint trap. Now wash it with liquid dish detergent. Not try the water test again. It's amazing how lint resude (or is it something else?) will clog up the lint trap. The clothes will now dry faster and you'll use less enegry.

Wow, that was a superfast response! Yes, the lint came off surprisingly easily after using the liquid dish detergent and a little bit of scrubbing. Thanks!!!

I'll be washing it with dish soap every time I do laundry after this! Thanks for the hint.
steve
Steven Shapiro wrote:

And you know what clogs those screens up? Fabric softener (sheets or devices) or "static" control sheets in the dryer. If you need them use the washer kind, and you won't be cleaning the screens so often.
--
Papa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
Send me email from: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /

That must be right. My screen has never clogged up nor built up with lint. I have never used dryer sheets nor fabric softeners of any kind in my laundry.
snipped-for-privacy@comscrap.com says...

but detergent and water...nothing in the dryer but wet clothes. Maybe cotton makes more lint? Most my stuff is denim or flannel, except cotton underwear. But the important thing is a cleaner lint trap.
steve

I checked my lint filter with the water test and it was NOT stopped up. And that is after 8 years without washing and the occasional use of those sheets. I suspect it depends a lot on the material of the filter. Mine is a stiff wire mesh that self cleans when you remove the lint after each wash.
PJ
hodori&hosuni wrote:

out alot of dust with an air compressor and some long wooden dowels and some brushes.. it took me some time but it works.....

Hi,
Fabric softeners ( esp those sheets ) and soaps can build up on the screen and hamper air flow for sure....a bad one...
http://www.applianceaid.com/image/lint-filter.JPG
...a good washing at the sink often helps and rince with very hot water.
Dryer insides should be vacummed out every 2-5 years and the venting system going outside cleaned out avery 1-2 years = energy savings :)
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid http://www.appliaqnceaid.com /