How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile??

I started removing some of the old wall tile in preperation for a new range we are getting on Saturday. All the tile between the counter and the cabinets will be replace eventually. What will I do about the glue thats left from the old tiles. Its pretty thick and very stuck to the walls. I'm guessing I have to scrape it all off to have a smooth serface to put new tile onto???? What would be the best tool to use for this??
TIA
SR
I wouldn't even try. Cut the section out and replace with new sheetrock.

if it's mastic, a heat gun and a scraper. if you're not retiling, it would be far easier to redo the walls with fresh sheetrock.

A steam wallpaper stripper will soften up so you can scrape it off smoothly & evenly.
--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.

If you are installing new tile and are willing to waste a little mastic, it is not necessary to remove the old. Scrape off the highest ridges, apply new mastic and set your tile.
Before I would scrape it all off, I would rip out the drywall and install new. It would be a lot less work.
Colbyt
Steve wrote:

You removed the tile, and you want to get adhesive off the wall? I would be inclined to shave it down with a razor-blade scraper. Should at least take the "peaks" off.