How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile??

I wouldn't even try. Cut the section out and replace with new sheetrock.

Reply to
Matt

if it's mastic, a heat gun and a scraper. if you're not retiling, it would be far easier to redo the walls with fresh sheetrock.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I started removing some of the old wall tile in preperation for a new range we are getting on Saturday. All the tile between the counter and the cabinets will be replace eventually. What will I do about the glue thats left from the old tiles. Its pretty thick and very stuck to the walls. I'm guessing I have to scrape it all off to have a smooth serface to put new tile onto???? What would be the best tool to use for this??

TIA

SR

Reply to
Steve

If you are installing new tile and are willing to waste a little mastic, it is not necessary to remove the old. Scrape off the highest ridges, apply new mastic and set your tile.

Before I would scrape it all off, I would rip out the drywall and install new. It would be a lot less work.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

A steam wallpaper stripper will soften up so you can scrape it off smoothly & evenly.

Reply to
Marcus

You removed the tile, and you want to get adhesive off the wall? I would be inclined to shave it down with a razor-blade scraper. Should at least take the "peaks" off.

Reply to
Norminn