How to Protect Trailer Fenders

What can I, in the comfort of my own home, apply to the fronts of the fenders on this trailer so that the paint doesn't get chipped off by stones and road debris?

I bought the trailer used (many years ago) and the fenders had been painted black by the previous owner. More than once I have stripped them down to bare metal, applied spray primer, spray paint and spray clear coat, but the paint just doesn't hold up.

Spring is coming and it's time to paint them again. I like the look of black better than silver, so just stripping them and clear coating them is not my goal.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nothing, really. If you're throwing rock from the pulling vehicle to that extent, it needs flaps to stop it.

--

Reply to
dpb

the roll-on coating that they sell in home depot for the inside of pickup truck beds

Reply to
chaniarts

Make your own indestructable fenders by cutting down a larger old tyre to a fender shape and fitting them instead of the existing ones.

Reply to
harry

If you find a way, I have some investment capital. As suggested, bigger mudflaps would help a little. And then, there is a brush looking device that hangs the total width of the tow vehicle. I think that anything would reduce the damage by different degrees, but there is no real cure.

Again, if you get an idea, I'd be happy to patent it for you. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I was thinking along those lines as well, although I am not familiar with the particular product you are referring to.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Something like this..

"Underseal is a rapid drying, paintable, rubberized undercoating material for rust-proofing and sound deadening. Ideal for coating fenders, quarter panels, door panels, repaired sections, welded joints, hoods, and decks.

Underseal has excellent one pass coverage and maintains proper spray pattern. Delivers medium to coarse texture. This product will not plug the spray nozzle, dries quickly in 20 minutes but is tack free in 15 minutes.

  • Sprays easily & dries quickly * Remains flexible * Provides a very tough film that is resistant to abrasion

Oren

No need to go totally hillbilly here. They sell shiny diamond plate trim plates for this exact purpose. Any trailer shop or large truck stop should be able to fix you right up. They also sell replacement fenders of diamond plate or heavy flexible plastic. Or you can take the fenders off, get them sandblasted, and get them powder-coated at a place that specializes in marina/boating work. Goes on like paint, but becomes a rubbery non-chip coating. Very popular for docks and boat trailers and such.

Me, I'd use a wire brush and tractor paint. And I would probably brush it on, to get a good thick coat, and find some way to bake it on.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Thanks All!

I'll look into the various options offered.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Rubberized rocker guard or Ford DuraGuard film.

Reply to
clare