How to properly dispose of CFLs

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:00:41 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Start putting your bank statements and credit cards in the "private" trash and see if it matters.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 15, 5:06 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Actually, in these days of identity theft, it does behoove us to cross- cut shred papers that contain info about bank, ATM, brokerage, credit card, insurance, etc.; all the personal stuff that some ***hole could use to steal your identity. It's pitifully easy to do so, I have seen on several sites and articles.
HB
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 08:08:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Then you're in the wrong thread.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:23:08 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Sure, but this car is going to Miami. Next car, buddy.
Add pictures here
✖

No, you're not. At least not exactly. First, there is no law that compels you to comply with a search warrant. If there were, the cops could simply ask "Where's the gun?"
It IS against the law to RESIST a search warrant, but the courts have held that resistance must be active and forceful.
Consider a safe. The cops are at your place with a lawful warrant. They ask for the combination. You decline to provide it.
The cops will haul you before a judge and the judge will order you to provide the combination. If you still refuse, you'll be held in contempt until you do give up the combination.
Or the cops could say, "Okay, we'll do it the hard way" and bring in the acetylene torch.
To further expand on your statement, you are, in fact, required to "incriminate" yourself in a CIVIL case. "Where are your assets hidden?" must be answered and so on. The 4th and 5th Amendments apply only to CRIMINAL cases.
As an aside, that's why some well-meaning folks are perturbed over our guests at Gitmo. What these civil libertarians do not realize is that terrorists are not criminals. They have broken no law and are not entitled to the same rights as criminals. Specifically, they do not get a trial by jury, indictment, access to an attorney, the right to remain silent, or any of the other protections afforded in constitutional amendments that start with "In all CRIMINAL prosecutions..."
Just one example will make this clear: There are broad classes of people in the US that can be held against their will who are not criminals: * Juveniles * Spreaders of contagion * Those guilty of civil contempt * Some classes of illegal aliens * Material witnesses * My neighbor
Point is, "rights" (in these cases) apply only to criminals. Non-criminals are handled differently.
Add pictures here
✖

[...]
If I could just add to your list the category presently limited (AFAIK) to Bradley Manning, presently held against his will in solitary by the U.S. military . NO CHARGES HAVEhave ever been filed. He has been tortured for nearly a year to get him to roll over on WikiLeaks. He is deteriorating fast, mentally and physically.
As many know, Manning is the young soldier who tried in vain to bring to his superiors' attention a war crime committed by the Marine helicopter crews who had lotsa fun shooting innocent Afghan civilians on the ground. These shameless Marines had the the boundless chutzpah to VIDEOTAPE the party! (I have viewed it several times, still incredulous that our troops could perpetrate a war crime AND VIDEOTAPE IT! They must have thought themselves untouchable. Perhaps they were/ are; if they had thought their superiors would not tolerate such behavior, they would not have committed the war crime.
Eventually Manning gave up on his superiors, and the tape was posted on You Tube, to the consternation (and often horror) of people who still had a glimmer of faith in our "purity of arms".
People may feel disconnected to this event, but I challenge them to find any difference (except in degree) between the U.S. actions in this matter and the actions of foreign governments which do not have the rule of law.
This doesn't concern me, you ask? Well, if you don't see it as a moral and ethical challenge to our way of life, think about this: If they can do it to one, they can do it to another. When the law is no longer respected, anything goes.
HB
Add pictures here
✖
Higgs Boson wrote:

Bradley Manning was arrested on May 26th of last year. He was officially charged six weeks later under the Uniform Code of Military Justice with violations of articles 92 and 134 (transferring confidential information to his computer and disclosing classified information pertinent to national defense).
Contrary to how some think Manning SHOULD be treated, the fact remains that every aspect of his case has been conducted according to law.
Add pictures here
✖

A distinction without a difference. The judge orders you to comply with his order and jails you for refusing. Good enough.

Sure, but that doesn't work so well with encryption keys.

Sure, you're not in danger of loss of life or liberty. Though, after the civil case the evidence is free for all.
<...>
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:21:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I don't even have a CFL in a light fixture. The incandescents are in the safe. They'll soon be worth more than gold and I've almost got the market cornered!
Add pictures here
✖

If there's no difference, why do cops have to get a warrant? The judge could very easily say: "You're looking for stolen furniture in a wall safe? Forget it."

It works quite well with encryption keys. So does a tank of water.
Add pictures here
✖

Reading comprehension problems?

Meaningless.
Add pictures here
✖

OMG! Never , NEvER" medicines in the toilet"!!! There is so much research put there about the disastrous consequences to wildlife of flushing, e.g. hormones and other human medicine down the toilet. Altered sexual characteristics of marine wildlife; interference with reproductive processes; general harm to the organism. Medicines should be neither flushed down the toilet nor placed in the trash. They should be disposed of in a toxic waste center. If there is really, really no such facility available to you, suggest you contact the doctor's office to arrange for disposal.
No point in commenting on the rest of the "suggestions" list above!
HB
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:39:05 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

And I thought the whole purpose of CFL bulbs was to save energy. Now I'm supposed to burn up $10 worth of gasoline, plus the wear and tear on my car, my tires, and wear on the roads, (not to mention my time), everytime a lightbulb burns out and I have to drive to some recycling place. Now, lets see how this works.
THEN All these years I could buy a common incendescent bulb for 25 cents. When it died, I'd toss it in the garbage, leaving nothing but a very tiny amount of glass, and a thin brass base, plus a tiny amount of support wires. None of which was harmful to the environment.
NOW I have to spend $4 to $7 to buy the bulb. It generally dont last any longer than an incandescent bulb, dont work at all in cold weather, and have a lousy color for normal lighting. When it dies, I have to waste my time, burn up several gallons of gasoline, wear out my car, and the roads, and in the end I know that during manufacture and/or recycling, there will be some damage to the environment from the chemicals used.
THE SAVINGS The savings in electricity was half used up in the initial cost of the bulb, and the rest of it was used up in gasoline to drive to a recycling center, and if I'm in a rural area, the gasoline will likely cost more than the entire savings in electricity. YEt, this still dont take into consideration the wear and tear on my car, the roads, and if my time is worth even as little as $20 an hour, I might end up LOSING as little as $35, over and above the savings in electricity. Then again, it could cost much more if I'm from a rural area, and have to drive 30 or 50 miles to get to a recycling place.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

What about "It's for the children" do you not grasp?
We're saddling them with an unmanageable debt, the least we can do is leave them millions of broken CFLs to rehabilitate.
Though what they would do with CFLs in a world lit by candles escapes me.
Add pictures here
✖

Where do you propose they get candle wax?
Add pictures here
✖

You raise a good point. I thought it came from cows until I looked it up.
Most people don't realize, though, that whale oil is a renewable resource.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

for a while...
Add pictures here
✖

I can get 4 for $5-$7, without resorting to dollar store stool specimens.

Mine average about 4,000-plus hours of life in actual home use, including a bathroom and an enclosed kitchen ceiling fixture.

I know some that have worked well at nighttime in Philadelphia and its suburbs through even this very harsh winter. Besides, most are used indoors.

I know plenty that don't. In what kind of fixtures do yo have bad color experience, and what brands, models, wattages, styles and color temperature ratings gave you trouble, in what way?
I know enough about these to probably be able to give recommendations.
Or would you rather just bitch about CFLs?

Or keep them at home or in your trunk until next time you have another reason to go somewhere or somewhere close-to-somewhere where you can dump your dead CFLs.
One resource for finding where to dump them:
www.lamprecycle.org

<SNIP> Based on making a special car trip to dump a lightbulb and CFLs lasting a fraction of what I see in my actual experience.

✖
Roy wrote:

Who cares about the environment or the future. Let the kids and grandkids handle our stupidity.
Add pictures here
✖

Do your kids and grandkids know what kind of world you are planning to leave them?
HB
Add pictures here
✖