how to prevent rust on tools

It seems like all the tap and die sets I've owned over the years end up dying from rust.
For some reason, those things love to sit around and rust when stored.
What can be put in the case to prevent rusting? I thought about spraying 'em down with oil, but that's a bit messy, and I suspect it would evaporate, over time.

Boeshield T-9 spray,or there's a paper that exudes a vapor that prevents rust,that you can put into the tool container/drawer.
A dip in kerosene is alleged to leave a waxy coating that prevents rust.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

not alleged; it actually will leave a coating of paraffin behind when it evaporates. Old timers used to wash their tractors etc. with kerosene to prevent rust.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

quantities, cleans off any residual greases, and leaves a light coating of protection behind.

like a gun, e.g. clean the tool after use and apply a very light coat of oil.
While any oil will do if you inspect/recoat periodically an oil designed to prevent rust is a better choice. Generally the gun oils are good although expensive. I like Breakfree CLP. Folks who've tested various oils for rust prevention note the good old 3-in-1 brand oil does a very good job.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

what you're looking for. Another possible solution would be to store the tool in a tight fitting box and toss a few of those silica gel bags in with it - the same bags you get when you buy shoes, computer parts, and other moisture sensitive items. A simple Rubbermaid tote with silica gel bags would do the trick. Be sure not to store metal on top of metal, corrosion can also occur through that mechanism.
rb writes:

Short term: WD-40 and the like.
Long term: Spray can of white lithium grease.
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
rb wrote:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You can spray them with WD40, wipe them with a rag dampened with kerosene, or put some chalk pieces (or desiccant packs) in the case. The wiping with kerosene can remove light rust. Store the case in a dry and warm area or use an airtight container.
Good responses and ideas. Thanks.

drawers that they said contained a rust preventitive. If they work, I'm sure other places do too.

One approach for seldom tools is to find an paraffin (wax) heater at a thrift store...it is used for skin care.
You melt wax in the heater and dip your taps and dies in it. WIth the wax coating, there will be no rust.
A friend treated a tap and die set this way and then stored the tools in a jar of water for a year.
No rust.
He always has had a knack for making his point...and he enjoyed the free lunch he won from me too.
TMT

If you want a somewhat thinner coating of wax, you might try a trick used by machine knitters (my wife is one): Dissolve some paraffin wax in pure alcohol (e.g. the 99.5% pure isopropyl alcohol that pharmacies carry). Use this as a cleaning solution for the tools. The alcohol dissolves all the old oil, grease, and gunk. When you're done cleaning, leave the tools to air dry. The alcohol evaporates, leaving behind a thin wax film that protects the surface until it's used next.
And then there is LPS-3, a spray that leaves behind a *thick* waxy coating.
    Dave
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:15:10 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

How much?
paraffin wax

Dave Martindale wrote:

Does she make you unravel and roll up the steel wool?
--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are