How to pick the right chain for a chainsaw

I went to an auction and bought a small (10" bar) electric chainsaw, which is mounted on a pole. It looks real handy for trimming work. It sold cheap, so I bought it, minus the chain. Except for the chain, it's complete, and it runs well.

But I'm not sure how to get a chain made for it. We have a local farm supply store who will make a custom chain for chainsaws, but he makes them according to the numbers stamped on the tooth (where it fits in the bar), and the number of teeth. (I've had them made for my gas chain saw).

I'm not sure how they can make one without an existing chain. Is there somewhere that I can find the chain specifications based in the saw brand and model? (It's a Remington - Model RM1015P).

There is no place locally that sells pre-made chains, and I doubt the chains for these small electric saws are easy to find pre-packaged anyhow. Something like this I dont want to buy online either. I want to make sure it fits and can be returned easily if it dont.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Walmart Home Depot and Lowes have them here

You want an Oregon 10" chain

gfretwell

Thanks

I just ordered one from this URL. After checking the Oregon website, it appears that this is pretty much the universal chain for these small electric saws, and my model# is shown. I guess on these small chains, they are not as many options as there are on the larger gas powered saws. (Which is a good thing).

I paid $9.70 w/free shipping. That's a good price. I had to pay close to $20 to replace the chain on my 14" hand held electric saw, and that was just a few weeks ago.

I get more use from these electric chainsaws than my big Stihl gas one. They are so much easier to handle, lighter, and a heck of a lot safer. I have never had an electric one kick back yet. I can still cut a 10" log in under a minute with the electric 14" bar, as long as the chain is sharp. About the only time I get out the gas saw now, is for large trunks, or when there is no way to get to an electric outlet.

Reply to
Paintedcow