How to paint interior door? I am having problems.

I am trying to paint old doors, probably about 50 years old. I sanded and cleaned the door then applied latex primer/sealer. The paint cracks when it is drying. It is not the temperature as I painted a table with the same paint at the same time with no problems. I think I am using the wrong primer.
Any thoughts?
Steve wrote:

How thick are you applying it and what was the old finish on the door? I assume they were not taken down to bare wood.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
Hi,
I applied a medium coat of latex primer. I am not sure what the door was originally finished with. It looks like varnish. It's dark like a lacquer. I sanded the door with 60 grit.
I asked someone at home depost and he said it should have worked, but recommended I try oil based primer.
Steve

--
dadiOH
m Ransley wrote:

I like to get my advice at McD's - I ask about painting and electrical work at window #1, then pay at window #2. Saves a lot of time searching for clerks in the box store.
m Ransley wrote:

Even with an oil base primer it would be a good idea to thoroughly clean the door. Anything to cut any grease/grime...mineral spirits should be OK. TSP is good stuff too (trisodium phosphate) and will also degloss providing a tooth.
How long has it been since it was last painted and what type of paint was used then. It sounds like you are putting water base latex over oil base paint that is not fully cured, or the door is from the kitchen and has a greasy coat of cooking fumes on the surface which would need removing. Probably using an oil base primer and finish coat would help.