How to make a speedbump-like concrete dam?

Page 2 of 3
aemeijers wrote:

Our doors are 14' X 12' and 14' X 14' industrial aluminum insulated.
We used these because they seal under the door and keep water out and are not hard to drive over. The doors set down on them and stop the water and snow. If you have 2" of water coming at the door you have a MAJOR drainage issue.
--
Steve W.

Sakrete sells a new type of cold patch asphalt that is pretty amazing.

I don't know this for a fact, but doubt that it would take a fully-loaded hard surface forklift running over it.(for long, at least)
LLoyd

What if no storm is expected an it's a holiday morning or you're dressed in the "Sunday go to meeting" clothes as that unexpected storm blows through?
Can you honestly tell use that you been able to get the sandbags in place just prior to the "once or twice a year" that your drain are about to get overwhelmed?
Do the bags result in the shut down of your operation since the forklift can't get over the sandbags?
On 10/14/2011 10:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, I've had to drive the 20 miles to put sandbags in the doorway. There is a trench with a steel grate there too but the drain pipe goes straight through that part of the building, two floor drains are on that pipe, then it goes out the back and dumps on the rail siding. The pipe is only 4"...it should have been a LOT bigger!
Yep, if there is standing water in front of that door we can't load or unload trucks there and we have to use the other overhead door for shipping and receiving. That side of the building is a bit higher and there's no problem with water but it's harder to move outgoing shipments through the factory to that door.
The sandbags work just fine but we have to replace them about every three years for $20 delivered from the supply house three blocks away.
Somewhat related... Does any company make a barrier sock, a super long impermeable sleeve that I would fill with sand and lay in front of the door?
If they exist, what are they called?

PIGS, Inc.
LLoyd (no kiddin')
On 2011-10-14, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

    Yep! For real. I occasionally get a catalog from them, even though I've never bought from them. It might be a spinoff from the MSC purchases, though it could be from other places which are less likely.
    For that matter -- I keep getting e-mails wanting to purchase something machinery related from me -- always listed in parens as though someone was filling in a blank -- and of course wanting to know whether I accept credit cards. :-)
    "They" also want to know how many models and the prices.
    Since I don't sell *anything* -- and *especially* anything new -- I always figured that it came from someone going through rec.crafts.metalworking to find possible victims. However, a friend who never has posted here (yes, I know that this is also cross-posted to alt.home.repair, but that is not where *I* found it :-), got one of those recently too, so who knows where they are digging up addresses.
    Even if I *did* sell things, I certainly would not respond to a request like that. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Like the emails where they want to buy something from your website, then ask for the URL?

    [ ... ]

    Right!
    I don't know where they get the addresses from (perhaps in part from domain registrations), but they are sure mistaken as to what I sell. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I don't have any domains in my name, but get the emails. I also get them where they saw my personal website, and ask really stupid questions. The site states that it's a personal site, and what is listed for sale is are the only things available. Then I get some idiot wanting a quote on 10,000 glass fuses, or to buy HP parts from a compiled HP to OEM list that states that it's just a reference. Any response from the site with an altered subject line is ignored, since the subject line matches the page the email me from and every page has a different title.

Water sometimes comes down my neighbor's driveway and he has found that placing the garden hose diagonally across his drive way redirects a huge amount of the water away from his garage door.
Jimmie
On Oct 13, 7:24pm, Ignoramus21718 <ignoramus21...@NOSPAM. 21718.invalid> wrote:

Sounds like you need a gutter with a grill over it right outside the doors connecting to the storm drain. Have seen that done in a number of commercial garages. Might freeze up come snow time, though. In that case, an electric gutter heater might be in order. Damming water up with a bump is seldom a fix, just prolonging the inevitable. Most places I've seen that have the guttering done, the grills are a foot or two wide and extend well past both sides of the door. Usually the roof drains feed into the same storm drain piping, not spewing all over the pavement. Keeps from having sheets of ice all over the parking area. Speaking of which, have you gotten any sort of snow plowing or removal planned? Coming up on that time... If you get three feet of snow and a fast thaw, all that water is going to go somewhere. And have you inspected and cleaned the roof drains?
Stan

My neighbor runs a concrete company and he ran out of space. He parks a truck on my property in exchange for snowplowing my yard.
As for the roof drain, I know for a fact that it was recently cleaned. i
On Oct 14, 1:56pm, Ignoramus17081 <ignoramus17...@NOSPAM. 17081.invalid> wrote:

How do you run out of space if you own a concrete company?
Just pour a big slab someplace and start using it. ;-)

He did. ...on his neighbor's (17081's) land.
Ignoramus17081 wrote:
(...)

Careful, Iggy. http://www.amariandlocallo.com/pdf/Res_Adverse_Possession_Article.pdf
--Winston

Yep. I will have to have him sign a paper to this effect. (he is parking with my permission)
Ignoramus17081 wrote:

"Permission" does not appear to have the same meaning in English as it does in Legalease. The court can decide retroactively that you *did not grant legal permission* even if you did indeed grant 'permission'.
From _Tapley v. Peterson_:
"..Next, the plaintiffs use of the land was not permissive (as defendants contended), but hostile, because the conduct of the plaintiffs with respect to the driveway area was flatly inconsistent with any claim of permissive use.."
It sounds like you would be on much firmer ground if you *paid* your neighbor to plow snow and he *paid* you a rental fee for his parking spaces. With contracts, canceled checks and everything. Even if it is the same damn 300 dollarettes sloshing back and forth between your accounts.
I'm not a lawyer and certainly don't play one on USENET.
Please talk to your attorney about this?
--Winston

I will talk to my lawyer. But if I get my neighbor to sign a statement such as:
I am parking my vehicles on ___ ___'s property at ___ ___, Berkeley IL, with the permission of the owner, which may be revoked at any time.
___ ___ Date
That ought to be enough.
What I will also do is I will park my truck there and will take pictures, which proves that possession was not uninterrupted.