how to kill off a hornet's nets?

Hi All,

Got me one of them hornet's nest growing on one of my rafters. They don't seem very aggressive, even when I hose down most of their nest. But, they just keep repairing the thing and it keeps getting bigger and bigger and ...

Is there any such thing a a slow acting bait I can put out that they will bring back to the next (hive?) and feed to everyone else and kill off the entire nest?

Any herb that don't like to smell? Any bird I can attract that likes to eat hornets?

Any other ideas?

Reply to
Todd and Margo Chester

in my area you can buy a can of hornet spray. The can produces a jet of checmical that goes abot 20 feet.

You are supposed to spray the nest thoroughly after dark. I suppose this is when they are least active.

The spray leaves a toxic residue for a week ot two , subject to weather.

Its then safe to knock the thing down and clean up where it was attached.

Reply to
marks542004

What he said.....

Reply to
timbirr

This is when they are all on the nest so you can get them all. When awakened, they are very active at night.

Most wasp/hornet sprays contain a large amount of petroleum product, which is instant death to them. On an outside nest you can throw a cupfull of gasoline on a nest and they are dead before they hit the ground.

Reply to
Bob

Just make sure you have an escape route planned - they will come looking for you and be really pissed as well.

I didn't see the original post, so my question below may be moot.

But one thing I ask, why knock it out in the first place, unless the nest is in a trafficked area hornets are good insects to have around - they kill flies, grubs, spiders, and the birds love them.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That's why you do it at night....Or, if you are brave (possibly foolish) such as I am, you do it whenever you feel like it.....Haven't been stung yet, but I am sure it is coming....

But seriously, the spray knocks them down like instantly....

Reply to
timbirr

Throw some gas on it, light it up, they burn right up.

Reply to
m Ransley

The best stuff that I've found is TAT, available at Sherwin-Williams.

Or really early in the morning (better yet if it's been a chilly night).

Reply to
Hopkins

The best stuff that I've found is TAT, available at Sherwin-Williams.

Or really early in the morning (better yet if it's been a chilly night).

Reply to
Hopkins

Thanks to all who responded.

Sorry, I left out a key bit of information. I am so familiar with it that I take it for granted. One of the people living in my house is highly allergic to chemical pesticide.

Does anyone have a sneaky way to do this that would not involve spraying pesticide and or gasoline into the air?

-T

Reply to
Todd and Margo Chester

I dunno. You'll have to start reading labels or call a pro.

Reply to
Hopkins

There are a few brands of wasp freeze sprays. Never used one, they are pretty expensive compared to the pesticide. If this link works you can see one example:

Just don't put your face over the nozzle. LOL

Reply to
timbirr

thank you!

Reply to
Todd and Margo Chester

Wait, time-out. MISTAKE. I am sure I have heard of freezing the things, so I just did a quick google on Wasp and Freeze and posted the first thing that came up. However, this product that I linked has pesticide. WHen they say freeze they mean that it kills them instantly with poison, not that it kills them with cold.

However, I am sure I have seen/heard/dreamed about a product that does indeed "freeze with cold" insects....Can anyone help out here?

Reply to
timbirr

Last shot, then I have to get off this durn computer. I did another quick google. Didn't come up with anything in a can but did find an Audobon site that recommended using a Carbon dioxice fire extinguisher. Claimed it would freeze them in their nest. They recommend it for use around bird nesting areas.

however, a quick web check shows they are pretty pricey. Good luck. Sorry for the earlier misinformation, but that's usenet.

Reply to
timbirr

B-I-G CO2 fire extinguisher?

Reply to
HeyBub

Have the one who's allergic spend a couple of days in a motel?

Reply to
HeyBub

Ortho Seven sold as a powder or liquid is highly toxic to bees. It is sold as a vegetable spray in a hose attachable bottle, just spray it wet. For ground nests pour in the powder.

Reply to
m Ransley

The older products originally called wasp freeze was mostly ether(sp) they were taken off the market years ago due to environmental/ozone concerns. I really doubt anything you use will effect the sensitive person you have concerns about.. the wasps are outside, they are inside and I am sure they will not sniff around the treated area. If they use hair spray they are putting them self at more risk that what you would use on the wasp nest.... btw if you are dealing with the inverted umbrella nest of a paper wasp, hair spray will probably give you the desired results you want, if it is the larger football shaped/sized nest of bald faced hornets, you may want to spend the money for a pro.

Reply to
Lar

The reason you are supposed to remove them at night is

1) its cooler out and they don't "fly well"??? in cooler temps (not sure but its what I've been told

2) because all the hornets are "home" at night! If you get all of them you won't have future problems

searcher

Reply to
Shopdog