how to kill off a hornet's nets?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
Got me one of them hornet's nest growing on one of my rafters. They don't seem very aggressive, even when I hose down most of their nest. But, they just keep repairing the thing and it keeps getting bigger and bigger and ...
Is there any such thing a a slow acting bait I can put out that they will bring back to the next (hive?) and feed to everyone else and kill off the entire nest?
Any herb that don't like to smell? Any bird I can attract that likes to eat hornets?
Any other ideas?
Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

in my area you can buy a can of hornet spray. The can produces a jet of checmical that goes abot 20 feet.
You are supposed to spray the nest thoroughly after dark. I suppose this is when they are least active.
The spray leaves a toxic residue for a week ot two , subject to weather.
Its then safe to knock the thing down and clean up where it was attached.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What he said.....

Just make sure you have an escape route planned - they will come looking for you and be really pissed as well.
I didn't see the original post, so my question below may be moot.
But one thing I ask, why knock it out in the first place, unless the nest is in a trafficked area hornets are good insects to have around - they kill flies, grubs, spiders, and the birds love them.
Eigenvector wrote:

That's why you do it at night....Or, if you are brave (possibly foolish) such as I am, you do it whenever you feel like it.....Haven't been stung yet, but I am sure it is coming....
But seriously, the spray knocks them down like instantly....
Throw some gas on it, light it up, they burn right up.
m Ransley wrote:

As only one of the nations thousands of firefighters I have attended one rubbish fire, one ground cover fire, and one structure fire that were caused by this technique.
--
Tom Horne

Only the clueless .......

would use that technique.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This is when they are all on the nest so you can get them all. When awakened, they are very active at night.

Most wasp/hornet sprays contain a large amount of petroleum product, which is instant death to them. On an outside nest you can throw a cupfull of gasoline on a nest and they are dead before they hit the ground.

The reason you are supposed to remove them at night is 1) its cooler out and they don't "fly well"??? in cooler temps (not sure but its what I've been told
2) because all the hornets are "home" at night! If you get all of them you won't have future problems
searcher

I knew a guy that sprayed gasoline on the hornet nests. One time he wasn't so lucky and his house caught fire. BTW, his profession is a fire-fighter.

good grief!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The best stuff that I've found is TAT, available at Sherwin-Williams.

Or really early in the morning (better yet if it's been a chilly night).
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The best stuff that I've found is TAT, available at Sherwin-Williams.

Or really early in the morning (better yet if it's been a chilly night).
Hopkins wrote:

Thanks to all who responded.
Sorry, I left out a key bit of information. I am so familiar with it that I take it for granted. One of the people living in my house is highly allergic to chemical pesticide.
Does anyone have a sneaky way to do this that would not involve spraying pesticide and or gasoline into the air?
-T
Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

I dunno. You'll have to start reading labels or call a pro.
Hopkins wrote:

There are a few brands of wasp freeze sprays. Never used one, they are pretty expensive compared to the pesticide. If this link works you can see one example:
http://www.mastergardening.com/dee-0098.html
Just don't put your face over the nozzle. LOL
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

thank you!
Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

Wait, time-out. MISTAKE. I am sure I have heard of freezing the things, so I just did a quick google on Wasp and Freeze and posted the first thing that came up. However, this product that I linked has pesticide. WHen they say freeze they mean that it kills them instantly with poison, not that it kills them with cold.
However, I am sure I have seen/heard/dreamed about a product that does indeed "freeze with cold" insects....Can anyone help out here?