how to kill off a hornet's nets?

It looks like an up side down swirl of gray cotton candy. Very water soluble. When I water hose down the outside, an inner nest is revealed that looks like a large wasp's nest. The little bugger themselves like to enter the nest through a small hole in the bottom. They look like a house fly only twice as long and half as wide.

-T

Reply to
Todd and Margo Chester

Oh, one more piece of information. The nest is 20 feet straight above my swamp cooler.

-T

Reply to
Todd and Margo Chester

In article , snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com says... :) :) > use on the wasp nest.... btw if you are dealing with the inverted :) > umbrella nest of a paper wasp, hair spray will probably give you the :) > desired results you want, if it is the larger football shaped/sized nest :) > of bald faced hornets, you may want to spend the money for a pro. :) :) It looks like an up side down swirl of gray cotton candy. :) Very water soluble. When I water hose down the outside, :) an inner nest is revealed that looks like a large wasp's nest. :) The little bugger themselves like to enter the nest through a small :) hole in the bottom. They look like a house fly only twice as :) long and half as wide. :) :) -T :) Sounds like bald faced hornet, which is actually not a hornet, but a type of yellow jacket. You probably can get them to move by just constantly spraying them away with water hose, as long as it is not a large nest, but they might just move to a more undesirable place than where they are, or they may move, never to be seen again. Proper treatment would probably put you in harms way if you have to get on a ladder, and bald faced hornets are a night flyers, so a night attack is not guaranteeing safety..the pros will have the equipment to get rid of them , but it bites paying $50+ for a guy to spend 30 seconds on the job. Also, people definitely can have sensitivities to chemicals (not just pesticides), but in 18 years, even when after I finish doing a treatment on a home the home owner comes up with , "I'm very sensitive to chemicals, will I be OK?", I have yet to have someone call back stating they had problems.

Reply to
Lar

As only one of the nations thousands of firefighters I have attended one rubbish fire, one ground cover fire, and one structure fire that were caused by this technique.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Reply to
Phisherman

I knew a guy that sprayed gasoline on the hornet nests. One time he wasn't so lucky and his house caught fire. BTW, his profession is a fire-fighter.

Reply to
Phisherman

My favorite way is to take a small high speed fan (available at Radio shack. the 4 inch one works nice) and mount it near the nest (a 2X4 with the fan at one end stuck in a bucket of sand works). TUrn the fan on and as they exit or enter the nest they get sucked in and chopped up. A big nest will take a day to depopulate. I guess you could also use your shop vac and spray some poison in it at the end

Reply to
jmagerl

good grief!

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Is there any need to get rid of them?

When I need to get rid of a wasp nest in a high-traffic area, I use insecticide dust. Sevin dust works; I usually use methoxychlor because I have a big bag of it. The insects get it on their feet and track it into the nest and track it around and it kills the whole hive. You want something that's not too fast-acting.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

A question about getting rid of A wasps nest without using chemicals was asked and to this I say: To do this you have to be fast and fearless but it works.

  1. Get A plastic bag of a size that will contain the nest without being too unwieldy.You will have only one chance.

  1. In the early morning hours before the sun comes up and A cool damp morning is best, Use A ladder to get next to the nest, put the bag around the nest as gently as you can and tie it off with a twist tie or A zip tie as fast as you can. The little buggers will be trapped in the bag and when the oxygen runs out so will their luck. You can leave the bag in place or break off the stem and remove the nest from the rafter. Make sure there are no hole's in the bag and the bag is strong enough to stand up to the nest dropping into it if you decide to remove it. I would just leave the bag in place for A day or 2 until they die and then remove it to the refuse bin. There is A spray out there that encases the nest in A foam substance also. You spray it into the entrance and it seals it up.Your house guests are then trapped in the nest. Foam insulation might work. I have A professional foam gun that works in any position so I might be inclined to give it A try on hard to remove nest's but do-it-yourself cans need to be held upside down and that might be tough and painful to do if you are not quick enough.

Good Luck! H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

Only the clueless .......

Reply to
Bob

would use that technique.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

i cant think of anything non chemical that will kill a hornet. when we get those big round paper nests to close , i put gas in my sprayer ,go uot and night and spray a good dose in the entrance. we get bald faced hornets here and they will chase you if your 50 yrds away and disturb them. lucas

ds549

Presumably you'll go on vacation sometime this year. Spray the nest the morning you leave.

Reply to
Bob M.

I just got rid of one. In the dark they dont attack, so I went up on a ladder at night, aimed a can of insecticide into it, and blasted them.

Reply to
souperman