How to install Storm Doors?

I'm going to buy three new storm doors or maybe security type doors. Two back doors and one front door. I will price both at Home Depot and Lowes. Is this a job that I'm going to be able to do myself with the help of a friend, or is this something a carpenter has to do? Does it take any special tools? I have the basic hand tools. Thanks Margo
I just finished installing a Pella door for my son-in-law that he bought at Lowe's in NC. It's not rocket science. 99% common sense. Read the instructions thoroughly before doing and it's best to have someone helping you. The first door is going to take several hours, the others less

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:26:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

I installed two "Forever" storm doors purchased from HD. It was fairly easy to do. You'll need a screw driver, hack saw, awl, maybe some caulk. It helps to have a friend to help position the door while the other person fastens the frame. Take your time and follow the instructions carefully.
The door is the right size but the side pieces are usually about 1 inch longer. You have to measure the height at each side and cut that frame piece to the exact size. Sounds complicated but it isn't. You'll see what I mean when you open the package and hold the side pieces to the frame of the door.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:38:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@removeeeyahoo.com wrote:

Don't worry about the awl. You can use a nail and a small hammer to make a dimple for a starting screw hole. Or, you may need a drill and bit to make pilot holes.
Two

going
something
basic
One word of caution, and this depends on the door you buy. Some of those wood core doors are now only 3/4" of an inch thick. If the ones you purchase are like this, make sure you get the frame hinge screws in straight, or you will find them coming out the back/front of door skin. Seen this before.
Another word of caution - make sure your door frame is square and plumb. Your storm door won't close and latch smoothly if it has any twist.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:26:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Most folks can easily do it with the help of a friend.

Hammer, drill, cordless driver, hack saw, level, prick punch, shims.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent

Thanks everyone. Guess I all really need now is to buy the doors, which I will do today. Seems I have all the tools needed except the shims. Guess I can get some old wood pieces at the same store. Will let you know how it went on Monday. Thanks again Margo
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:39:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@removeeeeyahoo.com wrote:

You should buy that awl too, Margo. They really come in handy every now and then.
Have a nice week...
Trent
<snip>

<snip> If anyone is still following this thread, or even really cares about a follow up:) I only bought one storm door to see how that went before I bought the other two. We followed the instructions (wish there had been more pictures) and all went well without a hitch, except some slight arguing about what the instructions were really saying. Three of us (women) did this our self in about four hours. It was a Anderson door, not sure on this but I believe HR 300? Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:55:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@removeeeyahoo.com wrote:

Good job, Margo. Ya got a good quality door.
And buying just one...for a starter...was a good idea.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Trent wrote:

You're gay aren't you?