How to Frost Garage Windows for Privacy ?

Page 2 of 2

--------------- Krylon Glass frosting: http://krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid &productid54&content=product_details
Acrylic matte gel: http://megan.scatterbrain.org/notmartha/tomake/windowfrosting.html
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:44:24 -0800, "Magnusfarce"

I've used this on bathroom windows. Just make sure you follow directions. http://www.urlbee.com?497
later,
tom
I agree with the plastic film. It is a vinyl plastic with a square or diamond pattern that lets most of the light through, yet completley obscures what is behind it. I used it on my garage windows. If you apply it carfully, it looks like the pattern is part of the glass. John

allow
(bad).

A $3 plastic shower curtain and water does the same thing.:) Cut curtain to fit, spray window with water, apply plastic. It even comes with rubber ducky's on it.:)

Magnusfarce wrote:

Sandblast it.
Seriously, Bob
Magnusfarce wrote:

allow
(bad).
fogging
crystal
at
almost a

any
of
I have sheer window curtains with a small cafe rod top and bottom. Easy to make with minimum sewing, and stays in place when the door is raised.
Yall liss'n here. I kaint believe all the ghetta responses, chit why not just duck tape plastic Wal-mart bags over the winders. Ya reckon?

the op indicated translucency is "good"
the bags ain't as translucent as something more translucent
is this lucid?
Bubba wrote:

You can laugh, but I used a roll of brown paper like they use to wrap packages for the post office on mine, leaving a slit window for me to look out along the tops of the windows. I just stretched out a piece long enough to reach across all four panes and secured it with thumb tacks. Since the outside of the door is a kind of bronze color, the combination is actually pretty attractive and now I don't have to sweat one of the neighbors looking in and seeing me working out there in my boxers.
It cost essentially nothing, lasted almost ten years before I had to replace it, and is instantly reversible if you need it to disappear for some reason.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Another option is to find a store still selling holiday leftovers and look for with spray frost or spray snow.
OR
You can make your own frost mix by saturating isopropol alcohol with epsom salts and a *little* table salt.
Just mix it and sponge on the windows. (I imagine a spray bottle would work if you just "misted" the window)
http://www.google.com/search?q=frosted+window+epsom+salt
Some of these say use beer, other say water. I suggested isopropol since it will evap quickly and not leave any organics like beer will.
A slight word of warning, the salt is hydrophilic (attracts water)... I wouldn't use it in a high humidity enviroment.
Good luck
--
be safe.
flip
Magnusfarce wrote:

Instead of a garage this applies to rear facing windows. New construction behind me makes me wish to alter the transparency of my windows. First thought is a reflective film that would allow persons inside to easily see out but block viewing from outside. Day and night.
Suggestions?

Another consideration is the placement of the panels. If the lights are at the top, they are least visible compared to the seconds from the top.

Wax Paper?
Beachcomber

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Decorative/deco.html
curtains?