How to fix spring sticking out of matress

I have a spring sticking out of my matress. It dont feel too good when I lay on it, and I cut my leg once on it now, because it has a sharp end. Besides that spring sticking out, the matress is in good shape, and very comfortable. In fact it got more comfortable as it aged, since it now conforms to my body, where it has a dip in the middle where the heaviest part of my body lays. New matresses are too flat.
I'd really like to try to fix it. Either remove that spring, or cut off the part that sticks out. It's not just being unable to afford a new matress, but I dont want a new one that will take several years to get comfortable again.
Anyone know how to fix this without destroying the matress covering in the process?
Paul
plharris nospam.com wrote:

Use a cutoff/rotary tool.

Buy an air bed. The only reason I can imagine that air beds have not replaced conventional mattresses has something to do with a conspiracy theory about mattress manufacturers. Why anyone sleeps on a conventional mattress anymore is a mystery to me. Sleeping on an air bed is like sleeping on air... and that's the way it is.
Good luck and have fun.
--

> without destroying the matress covering in
> the process?

Or a quality FOAM mattress. At the VERY least a "pocket coil" type.
clare snyder.on.ca wrote:

Have you slept on a modern air bed? The type that has vinyl/whatever pillars inside. It is not like an air mattress that is used for floating in a pool. The inner structure keeps the air compartment level throughout the mattress. And the air makes it a marvelously comfortable place to rest.
Why others are not sold on the idea is like the eighth wonder of the world to me.
To each his own, I guess.

I've slept on one. Not bad, but like water beds they are a PAIN when they spring a leak. Yes, I know some have built-in automatic air pump and adjustable firmness - but they are still a pain when the pump comes on in the middle of the night.
Love my foam-coil mattress
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Have you slept on an air bed for more than one or two nights?

That is a good point, but an air bed leak is nothing like a water leak from a several hundred pound waterbed. And the feel is completely different.

It needs fixing. My air bed has stayed at the same pressure for at least four months. I do use a thick cover since I have cats :D
An air bed might increase and decrease pressure depending on room temperature, but that small fluctuation does not take away from its marvelous comfort.
On 2/1/2011 3:12 PM, John Doe wrote:

I thought I may have bought a Temperpedic too soon ~ 10 years ago. If the room gets cold it gets hard as a rock. OK, as hard as a soft rock. Now my gal bought me a heated mattress pad, separate controls for each side. Now it's pretty damn good, I can turn the heat down to 50F and sleep GREAT on a warm - not hot bed.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in

Turn it over.
On 1/31/2011 10:55 PM, ktos wrote:

I third that.
Once upon a time I had a girl staying with me for a while and I had a worn out mattress. I didn't find out until after she had left that she would sneak in and sleep in the hole in the mattress! She loved that mattress which I hated. She was also somewhat crazy, and perhaps the OP is also.
Jeff

Wonder how /that/ happened?
--
Tegger

On 1/31/2011 9:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Um, turn the mattress over? :-)
TDD
On Jan 31, 7:15pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Spam?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Apparently, you don't want to turn the mattress over which means you need to get rid of the protruding spring.
Mattress springs may be individual springs clipped or tied to each other or "pocket" springs which are springs inserted into individual fabric tubes. They too are hooked in some manner to the surrounding springs
If you just clip off the end of the spring, you will leave the end at or near the surface; you'll probably contact it when your body weight compresses the matress. Before clipping it off, you could depress the mattress in that area as much as possible which would leave the cut deeper in the mattess. That should work pretty well.
Another possibility is to get a long upholsterer's needle and some heavy twine. By shoving the needle up from the bottom you may be able to pull the spring down into the normal position and tie off the twine on the bottom of the mattress. To help keep the spring in position, use a curved needle and sew it to surrounding springs.
Possibly the best way would be to turn the matress over, cut the fabric below the offending spring, replace/fix the spring and sew up the bottom.
--

dadiOH

If the spring came loose at its attachment point, or can be relocated to be against another spring you can use upholstery hog rings to fasten the spring to a safe tie off. Sew the access slits back together and use a fabric adhesive to put a patch over the area to keep critters out.
--
Mr.E

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:15:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Yes, cut off the part of your body that lies on it.
--
Tactical? TACTICAL!?!? Hey, buddy, we went from kilotons to megatons
several minutes ago. We don't need no stinkin' tactical nukes.