How to dry out basement

Page 2 of 2
who makes the best water powered backup pump
Did you get the gutters fixed?
Might want to buy a dehumidifier. Though, the open windows and fan are a lot cheaper.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I did clear the gutter...I think I'm going to make gutter inspection a weekly habit (easy to do on a ranch)!
I cut out the carpet and soaked drywall, rented a big dehumidifier and cranked my household one up. A ServPro representative came out to look at the situation. His advice was to take out the section of wallboard that had grown mold (about 1' high x 12' wide), but that it looked under control and would take another week or so to dry out completely.
I may invest in a second dehumidifier because this industrial one costs $30/day and it's only pulled three or four gallons out. I'll let you know how it turns out. When we replace the carpet, what should watch out for? I noted one comment about avoiding natural fibers...can we put a pad down? I'm pretty sure we can keep water out in the future if we pay more attention to the gutters.
On 30 Jul 2003 05:41:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chris Snyder) wrote:

I think you can pick one up at HD for short money that will pull out at least 2 gal/day... I never ran mine on high so I don't know what the max rate might be... and my basement isn't as wet as yours is now.
Bob
P&M
I apologize if this repeats what others ahve said. A wet-dry vac will take out a lot of water, off the floor and even out of the carpet which may make it easier to lift and take outside. (never buy natural fabric for a baasemenent. My foolish neighbors did that.)
My basement had been dry for years, but after one particular flooding it would not dry out. Too early to tell if yours will turn out like that, or not.
I wanted some of that water absorbant stuff that people hang in a can or bag in their closet, or silica gel that comes with cameras when shipped from Japan. Only available in 4 oz or less.
When it wouldnt dry, went to a janitorial supply house, bought 50 (or 100?) pounds of whatever they sell for that purpose. calcium? chlorate? it was under 20 dollars for the whole bag, athough this was 15 years ago. Best if the white rock like things are in a basket above but too hard to do, Took a standard plastic bucket, used perforated decorative masonite (or something simlar to divide the bucket down the middle. Put chemical in one half half way up, water appeared after a day in the other. Was able to pour out the water while holding the rocks in place. Added more rocks as needed. Poured water every day or two. Basement no smell any more, except wehn I'm non the steps. Put bucket on 3rd step. after a couple days, 3rd step smells good. Other steps still bad. How can this be when my nose is 5 feet higher than the bucket? Had to put the bucket on each of 8 steps to make all the smell go away. Totally befuddled but basements has no more smell. Gave rest of bag, 40 pounds?, to gas station.
There are 4 oz bottles of stuff you can add to any paint you use to make it mold resistant. And some white paint comes with something like that alreaay added.
In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2003 08:59:09 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chris Snyder) posted:

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
Chris Snyder wrote:

in my area, south louisiana when you have wet carpet(from flooding) its gotta come up.... they cut it up and put it out for trash..... it does not see to be any good after the water damage... by the time a carpet dries its full of mold or misdew and is trash.. pull up the carpet and let it run dry.. and you have to have the windows open so the moisture can go outside.... thats the only way to get rid of the odor.......