How much to pay for labor for 2 hours to move something down some stairs?

I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find (probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Debends if he has a green card no card $10 hr card $20 hr, plus Lunch and a six pack of Corona ( no card no Corona)

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

hire pianomovers!

Reply to
siralfred

Its 2 hours to Mexico from New Jersey?? lol

Reply to
Rob in NH

No need for a Mexican. Any crack head can do it for about 20 bucks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Here in KY, you can get a _crank_ head any hour of the night or day on the wekends for about $5 or $10. 2fer $20. On the weekdays though, you won't be able to wake him up. So, if you get a crank head, get done and get him out before he gets sleepy.

Tom in KY, Up tonight watching my shop and my vehicles.Da** crank-heads!

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

But be sure to blind-fold the crack head on the way in and out, so he can't come back and rob you.

Reply to
Bob

The best advice might be the piano movers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How did it get to where it is sitting? Whomever put it there probably has the ability to complete the delivery. Otherwise, there are many small companies that deliver appliances and do this sort of thing all day long. They have all the ramps, dollies and other equipment. For you and one other untrained person to attempt this without knowledge or equipment is a recipe for life-long pain. Find a way to get it moved where the only thing you lift is a pen when you write the check. There are some things that for one reason or another are just not worth doing yourself.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud

When my wife was in labor they charged her about $8000 at the hospital.

Reply to
myself

Don't worry about how much to pay someone. Worry about finding someone who is willing to do it. Then ask them how much they want and pay that amount. Any professional who has the equipment, is going to charge more, and will be insured. If you find a couple of "Mexicans" or high school or college students, make sure you're home-owner's insurance covers property damage and/or injury.

Reply to
Bob

You could use the wally system. $6 for the first hour and the second hour is free.

Reply to
George

You might want to make sure the stairs can hold that weight.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Wouldn't they be excessively skilled? and thus more expensive than necessary.

Put the money into a hand truck and then your wife can help you. :)

(Actually I asked my neibhgor to help me lift one square of my sidewalk. He came over with gloves, rubber dishwashing gloves! I already had a pair of leather work gloves for him, and he seemed to have no trouble with his half of the load, but whenever I brought up putting it back, or lifting the last one, he said Yes, but never showed up. (I got another friend, who had to drive over, to help me, and when I needed to do the same piece again, I learned how to use 8

2x4's, 6 fulcrums, and a 4x4 ram to do it by myself. Not lifting it to upright, but 6 inches and using the 7 foot 2x4's to "row" the slab to the side.

I'm sorry I don't know prices, but if they say 20, and if that is fair, pay 30 and then you won't have to worry that you cheated someone. I one time in Guatamala, when I had a budge of 3 dollars a day for everything, hotel, food, camera film, dickered with a young Indian woman for something she had woven, a listone, and she finally sold it for 50cents or a dollar less than she wanted. I've felt bad about this since about 2 years later and ever since. I could have exceeded my budget that one month, and in the long run, I never would have noticed it.

Getting it down stairs is a lot easier than moving it upstairs. Or have you broken the other one into pieces.

mm

If your wife is a laborer, shouldn't they pay *her*?

mm

Can you speak spanish? Lets hear you speak (or type).this.

Hey homey dude, move the f*cking furnace and I'll give you $20 and a six pack of Corona.

Personally, I'd hire a Rushin guy, The job always gets done faster when you're Rushin......

Reply to
myself

I got a parking ticket earlier this year in Princeton for absolutely no reason at all. I hope you never get it down!

Reply to
Toller

An example of the Law of Conservation of Favors. Don't use them until you really need them.

RicodJour

You're absolutely right. He looked big and strong to me, like this would be no effort at all. The rubber gloves he brought were a real surprise.

I thought we would do progressively more favors for each other, but they'll have to be at the less phyical level, like taking in the other's newspaper when he's out of town. :)

mm