How much a clothes dryer cost to use?

Note that the calculations are highly dependent on regional energy costs. Where I live, electricity is $.177/kWh and gas is $1.366/Therm. So, that translates into: 58.4 cents for electric 33.8 cents for gas

Now, per one of the consumer sites, a gas dryer typically costs an extra $50. (Also installation costs may vary depending on whether you already have gas or 220v available etc.).

So for me the payback would be about 200 loads which is probably about year or so in our family.

In truth, when we added a new 1st floor laundry room, we put in a gas dryer but we left the old electric dryer (and washer) still hooked up in the basement. We now end up using both simultaneously to speeed up laundry time.

During the winter, we have started venting our electric dryer inside the basement (with a lint trap) so that we recapture the heat. The moisture is actually beneficial since during the winter the basement humidity is around 27%. We always vent the gas dryer outside for safety reasons. Also, it's one thing to dump a little moisture and laundry smell in an unfinished basement but we don't want to do that on our finished first floor.

So, during the winter, it may be arguable more efficient to use the electric dryer since we end up recapturing all of the heat in the basement which presumably displaces some heating load from our furnaces.

Reply to
blueman

I don't mind ads on the page. This ad covers the chart info. There is no way to see behind it.

Reply to
Metspitzer

That could be it. I use a very large font. It really screws up the display at wiki, but I need it large to read it. I do have reading glasses, but I try everything I can to keep from using them.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I just looked around the site for a couple minutes and didn't see any ads, pop up or otherwise.

Reply to
Tony

Only ads I see are click on ads on the left hand side. They don't cover anything.

Reply to
Tony

The problem, the group has figured out, is my fonts are larger than normal.

Reply to
Metspitzer

The problem, as usual, is me. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

IE blocked a popup and "to protect your security" it blocked "other content". If it was necessary to see the popup I can enable one time use- or by site. I'm pretty sure that is what the default medium security setting in IE gives you.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

LOL! Does this mean it's time for bifocals?

Reply to
Tony