How much a clothes dryer cost to use?

Page 2 of 2

Metspitzer wrote:

Interesting. In one place they say a gas dryer is $.02 per load cheaper than electric. Then lower down, they say buy a gas dryer because it saves $.06 per load. Proofread anyone?

Could the .06 figure be the per load difference on a strictly load to load energy usage comparison while the .02 difference includes the original cost of the dryers in the calculation?
The last time I checked, gas dryers were more expensive, so if you factor in the cost difference over the life of the units, the savings per load would be less than with just a "energy used" per load calculation.
I'm just guessing...

Green clothesline air drying is way cheaper per load. Of course, here is Colorado during the winter, You pay extra to defrost your clothes after they dry outdoors....

Depends on the cost of gas at the time. It has been more expensive to use gas.
Jimmie
Wor[Google]ked fi[Google]ne for m[Google]e. I h[Google]ave simpl[Google]y n[Google]o pro[Google]blems w[Google]ith G[Google]oogle inte[Google]rfering wi[Google]th an[Google]ything I d[Google]o. Per[Google]haps ther[Google]e is so[Google]mething wr[Google]ong, l[Google]ike ma[Google]ybe de[Google]lete y[Google]our co[Google]okies?
--
Ch[Google]ristopher A[Google]. You[Google]ng
Learn more about [Google]
Metspitzer wrote:

If you expand your browser window to full screen in width (may have to disable "Favorites"), you can see the whole thing.
The problem is, at least partially, poor page design.
On 1/25/10 2:41 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Are you talking about the google ad on the left hand side? If I shrink my Internet Explorer window enough the google ad covers the left side of the table. How wide is your screen and/or what resolution is it set to?

That could be it. I use a very large font. It really screws up the display at wiki, but I need it large to read it. I do have reading glasses, but I try everything I can to keep from using them.

Note that the calculations are highly dependent on regional energy costs. Where I live, electricity is $.177/kWh and gas is $1.366/Therm. So, that translates into: 58.4 cents for electric 33.8 cents for gas
Now, per one of the consumer sites, a gas dryer typically costs an extra $50. (Also installation costs may vary depending on whether you already have gas or 220v available etc.).
So for me the payback would be about 200 loads which is probably about year or so in our family.
In truth, when we added a new 1st floor laundry room, we put in a gas dryer but we left the old electric dryer (and washer) still hooked up in the basement. We now end up using both simultaneously to speeed up laundry time.
During the winter, we have started venting our electric dryer inside the basement (with a lint trap) so that we recapture the heat. The moisture is actually beneficial since during the winter the basement humidity is around 27%. We always vent the gas dryer outside for safety reasons. Also, it's one thing to dump a little moisture and laundry smell in an unfinished basement but we don't want to do that on our finished first floor.
So, during the winter, it may be arguable more efficient to use the electric dryer since we end up recapturing all of the heat in the basement which presumably displaces some heating load from our furnaces.