How many coaxial cables go to a satellite dish?

How many coaxial cables go to a satellite dish? From the inside of the house.

I found one in the trash and should have paid more attention before I disassembled it.

Are there two or just one?

Do you also have the added antenna for over-the-air broadcast, the semi-circular ring that clamps on the edge of the dish?

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

In my case there is one coax to the receiver. I have two dishes but the switch is just inside the house. Two coax cables (from the two dishes) go to the switch and one cable goes to the receiver. The over the air antennas that attach to the dish may be OK in some places but a separate antenna could be better if "aiming" is necessary.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

it all depends, dsh or direct tv? which dish there are any different ones these days.

perhaps one but can be as much as 4 or more.

depends on the LNBs

Reply to
hallerb

Depends on how many LNB's you are hooked to. If you are going to use a DVR you need 2 cables (one for each dual-LNB output) 1 satellite. You can also catch 2 birds with one dish (say 110° and 119°, they have to be 9° apart) if you stagger two LNBF's on the same rig. This would also require 2 cables. This was/is a popular setup in the FTA "hobby". FTA is down right now since D1$h network changed their encryption to Nagravision 3 over this past year, un-hacked to date.

Only if you live *really* close to the x-mitters (

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks Mike and Hallerb and GM. I guess my question was more complicated than I thought it was.

So, I have one of those clip-on semi-circular ring antennas that go around the edge of a dish -- I rescued it from the trash -- probably it was DISH but might work with either network, and I called the manufacturer, TERK, and asked for the technical department, I think, and a guy there told me it used a 12 volt, center positive power supply, but it didn't occur to me to ask which connector of if one connector was enough.

Yesterday, I connected for the first time, it in the attic, and I got channel 9 for the first time since things went digital, (and I got the other 10 stations I normally get), but no other added stations. I had it connected to Output 1, so I went on to try Output 2, Input 1, and 2 and none of them did as well as Output 1.

I wonder if I need to connect to one connector to input the 12 volts and another to output the signal??

Today I went back to Output 1, and didn't get 9, but did get all four channnels 66. Now those channels I had gotten before and they may go away again. In addition, though the power adapter shows a full 12 volts (19 actually) when disconnected even from the "power injector" locations, it shows only 10 in the attic, even when the coax isn't connected in the attic to anything but my meter. That seems strange. (Disconnecting the co-ax at the other end, the DVDR doesn't seem to matter.)

Reply to
mm

I bought a 4 foot corner reflector older UHF antenna at rogers ohio flea market for 10 bucks. pergect shape real bargain.

currently i have it on a piece of pipe, thats ty wrapped to my 6 foot fence.

95% or higher signal strength on all channels.

i am waiting for a rotor to arrive to check out other locations / directions. probably overkill but kinda fun to try.

those clip on antenmnas are junk, get a real directional antenna and get real results

Reply to
hallerb

That is not, in fact, required. As I understand it, that is the standard configuration. But my DirectTV installer called in and got permission to use an alternate configuration. There is only ONE coax running from the dish to inside the house. That cable then splits and runs to two receivers one of which is also a DVR.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

my neighbor has THREE coax cables coming from their Dish Network antenna. It has 3 LNBs on the one dish.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

An antenna itself doesn't require power. Your unit probably contains an amplifier. An amplifier can help overcome signal loss, but it must be receiving a good signal. It can overcome loss in a long cable but it does not help with poor reception.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yeah, it is amplified. I forgot to mention that. :( Sorry.

All I know is about 25 years ago, I could only get Baltimore stations, so I bought an amplified antenna and put it in the attic only 20 feet from the VCR I used for tuning, and then I could get all the DC stations. 4, 5, 7, 9 and 20.

That broke and I bought an identical one. That broke a couple months just before I switched to digital, but I can still get channel 7.1,2,3 from DC, with just a 7 foot single strand wire stuck into the co-axial connector on the back of my DVDR with hard drive.

And yesterday with the clip-on semiciruclar one we're discussing, I was able to get channel 9. Today I can't get channel 9 but I get

66.1,2,3,4 well, and usually I can't get them at all.

So it must be doing some good, but not enough and I want to buy something.

Do you or anyone have a recommendation for an amplified antenna suitable for an attic???

I have quite a bit of room, but not enough for an outdoor antenna with a lot of elements.

Reply to
mm

hallerb

Basically you would need one coax cable for each TV or recorder.

If you have one TV and one video recorder, then one coax cable for each. (2 coax cables.) This would allow you to watch one channel on the TV and record a different channel on the video recorder.

If you have three TV's and one video recorder, then 4 coax cables.

There are all sorts of different ways to connect a satellite dish. You can use different LNB's and all sorts or splitting gadgets. Like here...

Bill

Thanks Bill, I haven't read it yet.

And thanks for your url too, Hallerb. Also not read yet.

But I'm about too.

Reply to
mm

Can you record any channel while watching another chanel ? Half the channels are one poliarity and the other half are the opposite. That means two lnb and two cables from the dish to something. Only one cable would be required if watching and recording the same chanel.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, we do it all the time.

It's not the standard configuration. The installer was going to run a second coax but when he realized what a bitch of a job that was going to be he called his supervisor and obtained permission to use this alternate setup.

He also gave up on the (preferred) requirement of a telephone connection to the DVR/receiver. Again running a cable meant a long nasty trip in the crawl space. He tried one of those wireless bridge thingies and when that didn't work he gave up on that idea too. We don't do PPV so that's fine.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

e I practice, the luckier I get". |

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD Gary Player. |

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD Shpx gur PQN. =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

e quoted text -

dish has some receivers that can phone him by telephone line, ethernet, and talk to one another over the phone line.......

just one receiver calls in for all of them.

Reply to
hallerb

You might notice that "polarity" is meaningless here. The word you want is "polarization".

Reply to
Gary H

Interesting. I looked around and Directv came out with this a year or so ago:

Do you have one of those 5-LNB antennas and SWM compatible DVR's?

G. Morgan

How far are you from the TV transmitters? And do they come from multiple directions?

The bowties like the DB4 work very well. Don't shop by whether or not it's amplified. You can always add an amp if you have a lot of house wiring to hook up.

G. Morgan

I'm in Baltimore. I can get the ones that are close with just about anything. It's the ones that are 35 or 40 miles away that are eluding me. (I could live without them, but I think for 100 dollars or so, I could have most of them for the next 20 or 30 years.)

The ones' I've gotten in the past before the digital conversion are all in the same direction, south or a south by south west.

It would be a treat if I also got some from other directions, like Lancaster Pa, which is NE of here.

But I know myself and I will not spend time with a rotator. I'll find the direction that works best all in all and stick with that.

OTOH, I could put in one directional antenna; and one omni or a directional pointed in another direction and switch back and forth. I'd be willing to do that. Would two antennas near each other interfere with each other's reception, if neither was between the other and the intended transmitters?

That makes sense. I was concentrated on them because they worked so well for the last 25 years, but the issue is a little different now.

This is good too.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm