How hard is it to do the thin aluminum sheeting around a doorway?

I'm considering rasing a garage doorway, and need to cut the wooden panelling outside just above the doorway. That much I could do myself, but I wonder about the white coated aluminum sheet (sorry I forgot what its called) that finishes the sides and top. Do I call someone for this, are machines used to fold the edges, or what?

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
dean

See Calhoun's reply. I would add that you probably can take a salvaged piece to a siding supplier and they would probably make a piece for you. Probably cheaper and better than renting and DIY.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Ok thanks for the tips. There is a steel beam over the door, but under that there is just thin panelling and sheet rock, and I think I can bring that up the required few inches.

I know what a brake is, but how do I bend an edge if its like 8 feet long? Do they have 8 foot long brakes?

Reply to
dean

Machine is called a brake, it can be rented at tool rental places. Aluminum sheet is called coil stock. It is sold in various widths (24" most common) and colors and comes in 50' long rolls. Siding suppliers have the best selection of colors but any big box will have white. You have determined that the wood above the door you are going to cut is not the header that holds up the garage?

Reply to
calhoun

They sell the pre-made strips at Menards. Of course they are generic sizes. Just get one bigger and cut it down if they dont have an exact fit. I cut that stuff lenghtwise with a utility knife. It cuts easily if blade is sharp.

Reply to
maradcliff

I should mention that our local welding shop has a brake. I have had them custom bend steel pieces for around barn doors and the like. They charge around $50 an hour, but the time to bend a piece is like 2 to 3 minutes, so it was like $3 or $4 for the work. Sure beats doing it by hand, and is a much better job.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Mine is 10'6" I have seen them bigger and smaller but 10' is a real common size.

Reply to
calhoun