How effective is the National Do Not Call Registry?

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:15:18 -0400, Seymore4Head wrote:

ironic

In my experience, it's effectiveness is fast dwindling to irrelevancy.
I still read posts by people who swear by it, but those posts are becoming fewer and fewer. In fact, I have not seen one in months.
The Pennsylvania Atty General's Office blames movement to telemarketing operations to offshore locations and the use of VOIP as the major factors in making telemarketers free from prosecution.
Seems to me like, with most calls, somebody wants money..... and sooner-or-later, money changes hands - so honey trap numbers along with special credit card accounts would seem like a workable alternative as long as the recipient of the cash is in the USA. I guess "as long as" is the gotcha.
I'm about *that* far from going over to all VOIP (my outgoing calls are on VOIP) and implementing a challenge-response like "Press 1 for Sam, press 2 for Sue, press 3 for Fred and, oh yeah, press 9 to actually make my phone ring".
Only two things between me and that are:
- Diminished 911 reliability (although I heard somewhere that even phones with land line service disconnected have access to 911)... but I don't know how that could be verified several times a year without offending The Powers That Be.
- Not knowing if my VOIP provider provides a WhiteList so I can make it so people who I know (maybe my cell phone's directory..) don't get hit with the voice menu.
I think the time is approaching when somebody who marketed a black box that did the challenge-response thing and the WhiteList could make a go of it.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 06/29/2014 09:49 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovaWvFQgrqU

On 6/27/2014 5:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

In my experience, it is totally ineffective. If it was effective then the federal prisons would be even more crowded than they are now.