How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Isn't it obvious???

It's a social commentary... an artistic expression of life in the 21st century.

It speaks to a simple man's struggle to live in the garbage of the society we've created while dealing with the rapid pace of change and ever present danger that creates, as symbolized by the highway guardrail.

I'm thinking it could sell for over $100,000 at auction on the right day to the right collector.

Reply to
nestork

In all my years of putting garbage out at the curb, in multiple houses in multiple cities, I've never had a garbage man take a garbage can unless it was clearly marked as trash, regardless of the condition. I grew up in NYC where they used to beat the metal cans on the back of truck so I know what a crappy garbage can looks like.

One time I put an indoor garbage can, filled with garbage, inside the main garbage can. When I got home, the indoor can was still inside the main one, but both were empty. The next week I marked it as trash and it was taken.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm impressed with your insight!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm sorry my words caused such a reaction. But I don't know what you mean. There was no hate in that post. If I hated Christianity, I wouldn't be recommending a Christian symbol as a partial remedy for traffic accidents, by reminding people where fatalities happened.

I certainly couldn't recommend it without also pointing out the problems with it.

And I don't want myself to be associated with a belief in Christianity.. Don't you know people who wouldn't want to have their obituary call them a member of a religion they don't believe in?

I love the US and I love its Constitution, which doesn't permit government employees to have religious invocations, employee or student led, at public school football games or to place religious symbols on the highway shoulder

Reply to
notforme

Following your advice, I bought this set from Home Depot today.

They're the right 'color', and they say HSS on them, but I'm not sure if they're titanium. The outside of the case just shows this:

James Gagney

I picked up these from Home Depot today:

I'll start small ... and then work my way up to the size I need.

Reply to
James Gagney

It's in a spot where people park and leave stuff on the ground. We call it lovers leap. There's a cliff on the other side, hence the guardrail.

Even with the trash can, some people STILL litter the scenic area. Sigh.

But the trash can is blowing down in the wind, creating FURTHER litter from the people who DID put trash in it ... so I want to be responsible and bolt it down.

I guess a person 'could' drive a car into it ... but ... really ... do you think a plastic trash can on the end of a guard rail is really going to do that much damage to an incoming vehicle?

Note: The only way a vehicle can hit it, logically, is perpendicular to it as there's no road on the bent end where the trash can is (and the guard rail would be pointing toward were it an arrow).

Reply to
James Gagney

Yes. The wooden post, which has holes drilled in the bottom (presumably) to weaken it even further, is NOT on a highway. It's just a scenic road. A one-lane road which has a turnout where lovers congregate at night.

The guardrail is 'probably' there because there is a cliff on the other side, and people 'could' (I guess) wholly miss the road and end up over the cliff.

I 'could' mount the trash can to the wooden post - but that entails half a foot of drilling, versus the thin guard rail. So my first approach will be to see if the newly bought titanium (I think) gold-colored HSS Kawasaki bits will do the trick.

The guardrail:

The bits:

James Gagney

It's on my property. But it's the town's guard rail as they maintain the right of way on each side.

Nobody could hit it from the end to the right with a moving vehicle. They can only T-bone it (if they really tried) with a car.

On the other side of the guard rail is a cliff ... hence the lovers lookout name of that part of the road. They leave trash (yes, even 'that' kind of trash) all the time.

Lovers are such litters!

Anyway, I seriously doubt anyone is gonna get hurt from a trash can being in the middle of the guardrail. It's a classic spot that the GPS trackers seem to leave little notes to each other - but other than that, I can't imagine it hurting a 4,000 pound vehicle.

Reply to
James Gagney

Yes. Most of the wood posts (but not all) have the exact huge hole drilled near the bottom that you're discussing.

See this photo taken this week at a one-car accident site on the same road.

The wood posts on the ends (maybe the last four or so) have this huge hole; the rest of the wood posts (in the middle sections) don't seem to have this above-ground hole.

Notice how the wood broke the BMW's momentum.

My next-door neighbor's 19-year old had a brand new bimmer (only about 5K miles on the odometer). He thought he was a racer boy on all the curves. We're just glad nobody got hurt.

About a year ago, this racerboy knocked the mirror off my wife's car on a tight turn; but the parents wouldn't own up to it (the road barely can handle two vehicles passing in opposite directions). They asked the kid and he said he didn't do it. To keep neighborly bliss, we dropped the issue after mentioning it to the parents.

The kid told his dad he 'swerved' to avoid something in the road. Looking at these tire marks, and the lack of any skid marks, I'm guessing he simple was either going too fast or he was distracted. Notice the tire mark on the shoulder follows the road for about 15 feet before it smacks into the guardrail.

I'm not sure how fast he was going, but, that's a straightaway ... just after a sharp (270 degree) curve ... so I can't fathom HOW he hit the guardrail ... but hit it he did!

Reply to
James Gagney

That's a GREAT idea!

I didn't think of anything except a bolt ... but a lag screw should work just fine!

Reply to
James Gagney

People litter like crazy at that spot.

The guardrail is on the edge of a cliff.

The 'loop' end of the guard rail fits the garbage can perfectly.

The only problem is that the wind blows the garbage can over, at the open end of the loop.

So I want to bolt or screw the garbage can down - to keep it from blowing over the cliff in the wind.

Reply to
James Gagney

Close. Very close.

The road cuts along the edge of my property - so it's my property - but it's well within the right of way of the easement so the town maintains the road.

However, there's a cliff (not a ditch ... but close ... a really really really deep ditch) on the other side of the guardrail.

The garbage can is there because lovers park there all the time, and I'd say about 1/5th of them (or so) are filthy litterers. The rest are fine and cause no problem.

So the trash can is there to encourage the filthy litterers to use it.

I empty it about once every week. Sometimes once every two weeks in the rainy season. The wind is ferocious at times up here. Then, when it blows over the garbage can, I have to pick up EVEN MORE garbage. You can actually see trash someone left to the right of the garbage can in the original picture.

(Some) people are just filthy with other people's property. It is what it is. I figure 1/5th can't ever be trained. And maybe 1/5th can be taught to use the gargage can. The other 3/5ths were brought up well.

It is what it is. And I'm trying to do what I can.

Reply to
James Gagney

Wow. I'd have to be someone famous soon. Can you help make me famous so I can collect on that prediction?

:)

Reply to
James Gagney

How do you plan to empty this can, once it's bolted down?

Reply to
Smitty Two

That's a good point. It actually had a plastic bag that I use to empty the trash - but the can blew over and the plastic bag blew over the cliff.

So, I plan on leaving the plastic bag in the garbage can so that I don't have to remove the can.

I could, I guess, put a bolt with a thumb screw on it though -- which would allow me to remove the can should the bag break open.

The problem is how to keep the can there in the wind.

Reply to
James Gagney

Any brand stand out?

Reply to
G. Morgan

What?

You don't own a gun, and are advocating unsafe use of one.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The Mormon does not own a firearm, and has no clue what he's talking about. Any idiot that suggests using a firearm to start a pilot hole has obviously no clue about gun safety.

Reply to
G. Morgan

That steel isn't body armor caliber. I wouldn't trust it!

Reply to
G. Morgan