How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Page 3 of 7

As well as the 'center punch' and "lean on it" advice, get a titanium drill bit. Probably not really needed but they are designed for 'hard material'.
Harry K
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 20:21:40 -0700, Harry K wrote:

The titanium coated drill bit was EXACTLY what I needed!

That railing doesn't look like the kind of thing a poster here would own...
Are you sure the owner wants holes drilled in his railing?
--
Dan Espen

Right!
Those guardrails are designed to collapse in the event a vehicle hits one. This reduces injuries to people in the vehicle. I would rather not be responsible for modifying one or mounting objects on one which would in any way alter the function of it! (And then get some lawyer claiming I was partially responsible for injuries caused in an accident.)
Traffic engineers would have a fit if they saw that. They go to a lot of work to get road signs and so forth to "break away" if a vehicle hits them. Like this...
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_dept/policy_guide/road_hardware/ctrme asures/breakaway/

When people are killed in car accidents, instead of leaving flowers at the site, we should just leave the dead bodies there. Then we'd develop safer drivers, instead of this ridiculous fascination we have with compensating for stupidity. By using terms like "errant vehicle" we absolve the nut behind the wheel. I think we've taken that absolution a little too far.

There may be some practical problems with that. I'll have to check
But one thing I've seen in several states is a white cross where each person died. I'm not a Christian and I dislike enormously attempts to insert religion into the government anywhere, including Christian or other sectarian invocations at football games. This is the one and only place where I woudn't object -- if private parties do it and not the Highway Department or Police -- because it is simple, easy, and clear, and they can be placed just where each person died, or just off the road where the car came to rest.
It marks the part of the road that has been proven to be dangerous. So sometimes I see tham at a curve at the end of a long straight run.
I've even seen the top dipped in red paint. I guess that is the same plain white, since surely no one is marking mere injuries. Unless there was a death and injuries in the same accident.
If I die in a traffic accident, I'm sure one of my friends will come and remove any cross put up where I die.

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:51:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dontwrite.com wrote:

It must be horrible to have to go through life, going OUT OF YOUR WAY, to hate so much. Amazing, really.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:09:36 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I'm sorry my words caused such a reaction. But I don't know what you mean. There was no hate in that post. If I hated Christianity, I wouldn't be recommending a Christian symbol as a partial remedy for traffic accidents, by reminding people where fatalities happened.
I certainly couldn't recommend it without also pointing out the problems with it.
And I don't want myself to be associated with a belief in Christianity.. Don't you know people who wouldn't want to have their obituary call them a member of a religion they don't believe in?
I love the US and I love its Constitution, which doesn't permit government employees to have religious invocations, employee or student led, at public school football games or to place religious symbols on the highway shoulder
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 23:12:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dontwrite.com wrote:

Not a lot of work. Bigots deserve at least a 21 word rebuke.

No, no hate at all. Keep telling yourself that.

You just make sure that everyone conforms to your wishes.

Have you been diagnosed schizophrenic?

Nonsense.
On Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:51:15 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

You think the GOVERNMENT puts those crosses there?
Government has nothing to do with it. Grieving families, friends, or private do-gooders erect those distracting memorials.
They're distracting. They litter the landscape. They should be outlawed, but then the politicians who made the laws would be presented as cruel and heartless by the opposition.

...and makes it even more dangerous, because I am looking at the cross, wondering who died, instead of paying attention to the road.

The red has no significance to differentiate between injury and death. They don't put up crosses where someone got hurt. Crosses are grave markers, not owwie markers.

Don't worry, nobody will put one up for you.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:47:40 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, I don't.

Yes. But some times something indifviduals do, some county alderman or state rep will decide the governement should do.

then the politicians who made the laws would be presented as cruel and heartless by the opposition.
They're probably llegal now, in that people probably aren't allowed to put anything on the shoulder. But in some places the police won't take them down for months. I knew a road where they stayed for years.

don't put up crosses where someone got hurt. Crosses are grave markers, not owwie markers.
I'll accept that. The difference must be who is making them.

Okay.

How do we know it is in a place cars will hit it? Could just be a barrier along a walkway in a park. Do you think he'd be mounting a trash can along an I-95 exit ramp?

Yeah, the original pic shows the cordless drill sitting on the guardrail mounting post. Using the drill for a scale reference, I'd make the post a 4 x 4. Seems a little light for a highway guardrail.

I didn't even see that post before. Isn't that the OP's? Don't they make guardrail posts out of metal I-beam. I think the rivets just join the curled end to the straight piece, all of which is floating. but attached where we can't see.

Not usually. I-beam posts would tend to impale cars. Most of the one's I see are maybe 6x6s with about a 4" hole drilled in them so they shear if hit. The idea is to slow the vehicle down, not stop it (and its occupants) dead.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 21:14:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yes. Most of the wood posts (but not all) have the exact huge hole drilled near the bottom that you're discussing.
See this photo taken this week at a one-car accident site on the same road.

The wood posts on the ends (maybe the last four or so) have this huge hole; the rest of the wood posts (in the middle sections) don't seem to have this above-ground hole.
Notice how the wood broke the BMW's momentum.
My next-door neighbor's 19-year old had a brand new bimmer (only about 5K miles on the odometer). He thought he was a racer boy on all the curves. We're just glad nobody got hurt.
About a year ago, this racerboy knocked the mirror off my wife's car on a tight turn; but the parents wouldn't own up to it (the road barely can handle two vehicles passing in opposite directions). They asked the kid and he said he didn't do it. To keep neighborly bliss, we dropped the issue after mentioning it to the parents.
The kid told his dad he 'swerved' to avoid something in the road. Looking at these tire marks, and the lack of any skid marks, I'm guessing he simple was either going too fast or he was distracted. Notice the tire mark on the shoulder follows the road for about 15 feet before it smacks into the guardrail.
I'm not sure how fast he was going, but, that's a straightaway ... just after a sharp (270 degree) curve ... so I can't fathom HOW he hit the guardrail ... but hit it he did!
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 04:59:33 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

Unless the car is very old, it sounds like he's a spoiled kid to have an expensive car at age 19. And it shows in his lying.

I think it's pretty clear that the guardrail swerved. They should have better guardrails.
You're picture reminds me that I don't think I've ever seen a metal guardrail held up with wood posts. I drove from Baltimore to Dallas and back a few years ago and don't r emember it then either. In the East, I venture to say, they use metal "I-beams", grey or painted grey, or maybe aluminum. Not as strong as those to build skyscrapers, I'm sure,
On 9/2/12 8:08 PM, micky wrote:

I-70 in Missouri has a couple cables mounted on steel posts in the median. I think they're about waist high. I don't remember how they're tensioned. They run most of the length of I-70.

The cables are an attempt to keep a car from crossing the medium and hitting a car head on that is traveling in the opposit direction.

I know you meant to type median, but I'm confused about how one could hit a car head-on that *wasn't* traveling in the opposite direction.